Marine Biology/Zoology

Lin

I'm a biology major, associates degree, took "a semester" off which turned into 4 years. I'm getting ready to return in the spring to get my BS, but I have some concerns. First off, my GPA is low. 2.7, to be exact, as I was quite unmotivated and had no goal while I was in school. I now know what I would like to do, which is study molluscs, specifically I'd love to study and research the evolution of nudibranchs. My question is this: Is this a realistic goal? I've been out of the game for so long that I'm really not even sure where to begin, aside from speaking with an adviser of course. Any advice would be wonderful.

Lin,

We share remarkably similar academic histories and pursuits. (Excluding, namely, your desire to research aquatic mollusks---a similarity there if shared would be a faint eerie.) I cannot offer then a view as a professional but I can share some experiences that have put my ambitions into relevant perspectives. Echoing those previous, GPA is a driving force for advanced educational opportunity, especially at the graduate/post-grad level and increasingly positions in research require that advanced degree. Some universities support under-graduate scholarly activity, like faculty-led research so looking into local programs may provide insight into the wild-world of the scientific enterprise and it will generate material for your resume. Joining professional organizations should prove also a worthwhile investment, subscribing to scholarly journals or maintaining a presence on sites like this will keep you up-to-date on current studies and may provide a glass through which you can interpret the direction science and market are headed. Intra/Extra-curricular involvement is a crucial component and in those you will likely form the associations necessary to maximize your academic development.

Hope this helps. In short, keep your GPA competitive, take advantage of entry-level research opps, (volunteer if paid internships are unavailable), plug yourself into the professional/biology community, and keep at it. If you find an exacting formula to achieve your goals, please pass them on.

Good Luck.