Faradays law

Learner

Hi All,

To understand the Faradays law better, I have done the following experiment at home. I have taken a 12V battery, took a long wire and turned some 10 loops and shorted the wire to the positive and negative terminals. Now according to me the coil should work like an electromagnet and should attract small iron pieces. But I did not see anything happening like this. Could somebody please let me know how to conduct the experiment?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Satya

A wire shorting a 12V battery would get quite hot; if you didn't notice this, then the battery is dead or the circuit wasn't completed. There should be a resistor in that circuit to limit the current.

You can make a coil more effective if the coil is wound around an iron core, which concentrates the flux lines.

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction says that the induced electromagnetic force is proportional to the frequency of change of the magnetic field. High frequencies have a high effect. Your setup is not changing any magnetic fields except during the brief time that it is switched on and off. It is a simple electromagnet powered by direct current, and with only ten turns and no iron core it is a weak magnet. Alternating current instead of DC from a battery would demonstrate repulsion according to Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law.

• 2 weeks later...

DC cannot produce this effect

AC should be used......

What effect are you considering? The OP describes an electromagnet. There is an error in ascribing it to Faraday's law rather than Ampere's law.