Metallic Life forms

GunnerVIII

Anything is possible until limits are givin. One can't give limits till one knows all. Only the omniscient can tell what is possible and which is not.

Yes, and those limits are the bounds of science. There may be some way for metals to produce life but within the limits of science, it's inconceivable.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by greg1917

Every few years a new element is discovered in the lofty heights of the upper f block. These however are all super dense highly unstable only-exist-for-less-than-a-second metals which rarely have a practical use other than research. in any case very few of these metals are going to naturally exist anywhere at all due the unlikelihood (spelling???) of said metals being created via fusion in stars.

Weeeeeell there is a theorised 'island of stability' about 140ish, but you're right about enough not being produced.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

There may well be elements we have not discovered yet. However, if there are they will be high up in the periodic schema which means they will be (i) rare and (ii) not exactly suited to stable organic molecules.

You can't say that if we find a new element, that it is going to be rare, just because its the only one we found. You can't base what elements are plentiful, and which are not just by looking a few planets in one little solar system! Thats like looking at only greenland, and saying that Monkeys can't exist because the tempurature is to cold for a species like monkies to live at.

Plus, you'll have to look at the atmosphere of a planet that metallic creatures would live in. There has to be thousands of elements, that when combinded to other elements in a diffrent gases enviroment, that when in contact with metals, would produce greater reactions than it would with carbon based life forms.

You can't say that if we find a new element, that it is going to be rare, just because its the only one we found

Yes I can. the upper f block metals are exceedingly rare. elements this heavy and above simply do not exist in nature - they undergo decay immediately and cannot be (or are almost never) produced in stars in the first place.

Why would the atmosphere make any difference? Hydrogen and helium make up the vast majority of the known universe. Other common elements are oxygen, silicon, iron, nickel etc but in far less quantities than H and He. Actinides are close to non existant, lanthanides slightly more common but still negligible.

And the chemistry of metals DOERS NOT CHANGE from planet to planet. Gravity will not make a difference, whether in massive abundance or not present. I dont know what Zarkovian principle you're basing this on but its a non starter. If i were an omnipitent being gazing at the periodic table I would pick carbon as a life starter first because its common in the universe, has a massive array of chemical permutations and has negligible unstable isotopes.

Originally posted by KHinfcube22

You can't say that if we find a new element, that it is going to be rare, just because its the only one we found. You can't base what elements are plentiful, and which are not just by looking a few planets in one little solar system! Thats like looking at only greenland, and saying that Monkeys can't exist because the tempurature is to cold for a species like monkies to live at.

Plus, you'll have to look at the atmosphere of a planet that metallic creatures would live in. There has to be thousands of elements, that when combinded to other elements in a diffrent gases enviroment, that when in contact with metals, would produce greater reactions than it would with carbon based life forms.

Well.

All I can say is that you are now Officially Stupid.

<stuff>

the easiest thing to do is just look at the physics of how these substances are formed to get an idea of their abundance, and then look at the reactions that they can be involved in... metals are useless in this sense for all the reasons that have been pointed out over and over again.

Ok, you guys got me. But what about a metal-carbon hybrid? Could a being that is mostly carbon, with a wee-bit of metal in it, enough so it could be classified as a metallic creature, exist?

Let's say you have a car. It's mostly red with a little bit of black. Would you say it's a black car?

Originally posted by Skye

Let's say you have a car. It's mostly red with a little bit of black. Would you say it's a black car?

Yes.

But thats not what I ment. A better analogy would be to say, if you have a car that is read through the whol entire inside, with a black exterior. Then would it be a black car?

Ok, you guys got me. But what about a metal-carbon hybrid? Could a being that is mostly carbon, with a wee-bit of metal in it, enough so it could be classified as a metallic creature, exist?

You mean like mammals? We're packed with juicy metal.

This is turning into a theoretical chemistry thread...

Originally posted by Radical Edward

probably not, all the metal would probably be bound up in things like haemoglobin. any wires or anything would have to be artificial, and then you are just looking at cyborgs.

Not all metallic thingshave wires in them.

What if we found a metallic element from the complete opposite side of the Universe, (I know that its sounds controversial, but hypothetically saying there IS an opposite side of the Universe,) that HAD the same amount of reactions,(which you should specifie reactions,) as carbon did? The chance of that happening is slim, but it is higher then some thigs that have already happened, right?

What if we found a metallic element from the complete opposite side of the Universe, (I know that its sounds controversial, but hypothetically saying there IS an opposite side of the Universe,) that HAD the same amount of reactions,(which you should specifie reactions,) as carbon did? The chance of that happening is slim, but it is higher then some thigs that have already happened, right?

Something with the same reactions as copper can't possibly be a metal.

Whether something is metallic or not is determined by how it reacts.

Metals are not in the slightest way suited to life as we know it in the form you make out. metal skin would react with bodily fluids and moisture, be heavy, potentially cook the person on a hot day, attract occasional lightning storms and be useless overall. the silver surfer is not a lesson in biology, its an excuse to sell comics.

Originally posted by greg1917

Metals are not in the slightest way suited to life as we know it in the form you make out. metal skin would react with bodily fluids and moisture, be heavy, potentially cook the person on a hot day, attract occasional lightning storms and be useless overall. the silver surfer is not a lesson in biology, its an excuse to sell comics.

The planet in which a metal skinned being would livewould not have hot days, and the being would most likely hide in a lightning storm. So hah!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ok, I have a completly new argument. I just realized we have found every possibilty of a stable atom using electrons, protons, and neutrons. But what if there is a fourth sub atomic paricle, excluding the particles that make up electrons, protrons, and neutrons. There is a possibility that there could be something like that. There could be a whole new charge that we have not found yet.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well if you had metal skin, your would also have metal innards and such(so they wouldn't be toastable). And it wouldn't be like solid metal, it be like fibers. But then how would these fibers develop? Actually i think i understand better why metal life wouldn't work, form AP Biology i'm taking, but its still interesting to imagine.