Einstein@Home

Einstein@Home is a compuert distribution program. You download it in the form of a screensaver and when (and only when) that screen saver is activated ie. you are away from your computer for a while it will activate itself and then your computer is used with thousands of other computers to form one mega-computer. (available for windows, mac or linux)

http://www.physics2005.org/events/einsteinathome/#einsteinathome

(Read above site for more information)

Albert Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves in his general theory of relativity, but only now in the 21st Century has technology advanced enough for scientists to detect and study them. Although gravitational waves have not yet been detected directly, their influence on a binary pulsar (two neutron stars orbiting each other) has been measured accurately, and was found to be in good agreement with original predictions. Joseph Taylor and Russell Hulse shared the 1993 Nobel Prize in Physics for their studies in this field.

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/

(possibly the official site)

It comes out (final version) at the end of 2004.

Einstein@Home will rely on private owners of PCs, like you, to donate computer time to the analysis of LIGO data.

Argh, I'm getting rather tired of these @Home things. >:/

maybe so, but the scientific comunity need your computer...

seriously though, this would be a major break through for relativety and is a good cause!

I think I can safely say that everyone is aware of the @home programs. I have to concur with Gilded, I don't need more of these trying to pull at public resources. Especially as the other @home programs are a hell of a lot more philanthropic than this one.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but there you go.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but there you go.

no, its ok, your entitled to publicly announcing your view!

indeed it is that very point which is the flaw in all of them. seti@home was a create idea, not there are many of the "@home" projects, and they are pulling away "customers" from each other.

hence these are not going to be able to go on for much longer.

seti@home is more powerful than any super computer ever built, however there are not many more people who are going to download "@home" program, so they will become ineffective.

at the same time, on a scientific community, no harm in announcing one, esp. one which is testing Einstien's theory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...