Fluorine application

greg1917

There was a report on bbc news on thursday night about the research facility at Porton Down - theyd developed a new way to make biological warfare protection suits. It didnt go into much technical detail but they put fabrics into what looked like a big flourescent tube and the fabric was then coated in fluorine or a flruoine compound. liquids of any sort seemd to be unable to penetrate any fabric treated - water simply cascaded off the fabric like drops of mercury. the process was shown on a neck tie and red wine just slid down it without a stain of any kind. anyone know any more? it looked amazing - obviously fluorine has been used in this general application before but not like this, to my knowledge.

• 1 year later...
Guest Udødelig

I am not allowed to make threads for some reason, so I'm using this thread to ask my question.

So, I'm building a missile, and I wanted to know which fuel sould I use for it, between those: metan, meten, metanol or atseton (I don't know how to write those molecules, because of the fact that I don't study chemistry in English).

And one more question, how can I make a explosive out of fertilizer?

confirm the confimation email that you were sent when you subscribed and then you will be able to make your own thread... that way you dont hijack others!

i wont answer the question as it was totaly irrelavant to the thread.

confirm the confimation email that you were sent when you subscribed and then you will be able to make your own thread... that way you dont hijack others!

i wont answer the question as it was totaly irrelavant to the thread.

Not to mention against the forum rules.

Back on topic. I've seen this before and it's basically a teflon/teflon derivative. If it was pure fluorine gas that they put on the fabric, it would have ignited. lol.

There was a report on bbc news on thursday night about the research facility at Porton Down - theyd developed a new way to make biological warfare protection suits. It didnt go into much technical detail but they put fabrics into what looked like a big flourescent tube and the fabric was then coated in fluorine or a flruoine compound. liquids of any sort seemd to be unable to penetrate any fabric treated - water simply cascaded off the fabric like drops of mercury. the process was shown on a neck tie and red wine just slid down it without a stain of any kind. anyone know any more? it looked amazing - obviously fluorine has been used in this general application before but not like this, to my knowledge.

polymerized tetrafluoroethylene perhaps?

So, I'm building a missile, and I wanted to know which fuel sould I use for it, between those: metan, meten, metanol or atseton (I don't know how to write those molecules, because of the fact that I don't study chemistry in English).

And one more question, how can I make a explosive out of fertilizer?

ok, GO HOME. we're not here to tell you how to blow things up, especially if you're some random kid who JUST showed up and didn't even confirm with the confirmation email.

Missiles + explosives in same post. Suspicions awaken... :)) Go and build some hills or whatever you do in Denmark, until you grow up.

" If it was pure fluorine gas that they put on the fabric, it would have ignited. lol."

You got that right. Pure fluorine is some wacky s*** that ignites even glass if it's having a bad day. :))

Silencer, I'm quite sure the Danish are secretly trying to build a 400m tall hill, which would therefore annoy everyone, as it would be the new highest place (forcing people to renew several maps and world's mountain statistics!).

But I think we were supposed to discuss fluorine, especially the compound greg was talking about, and ignore crazy Danish missile launching people.

"BTW, look at when the original post was created. Udødelig just highjacked a really old thread with no replies."

Yeah, greg will be happy (more or less) when and if he sees this. :)

Btw ed, I think KNO3 was a good answer for this guy, but not what Immortal here was looking for, but if we provided him with the info he thinks he needs we'd a) would be violating SFN rules b) would give access to early grave for this moron but c) helping evolution by doing our own share in the gene pool cleaning.

"So why is it called teflon then? I can really see it being an abrevation for tetrafluoroethylene, although it is quite similar."

If you mean why it is called teflon and not for example "TeFlEt", well... guess teflon sounds more hip. :))