spring gravity

ydoaPs

So compressed it would melt.

If I had to guess I'd say it would be signifigantly beyond melting, undergoing nuclear reactions seems more likely to me. I think this depends on the definition of "noticable increase" however.

Lets just say that mr spring would cease being a spring before this occured, assuming it is made out of any known substance.

So compressed it would melt.

If I had to guess I'd say it would be signifigantly beyond melting, undergoing nuclear reactions seems more likely to me. I think this depends on the definition of "noticable increase" however.

Lets just say that mr spring would cease being a spring before this occured, assuming it is made out of any known substance.

I dont know much about real applied physics but if u could increase the resistance of the spring to store the required energy to increase its gravity would that be possible?

You have to decide what fractional change in weight is detectable.

let us picture storing energy in the spring by STRETCHING it

elongation stores energy just as compressing does, and it may be easier to picture----you hang a heavy weight by the spring and it stretches some distance and the energy (work) equals the average force applied times the distance stretch.

If you had a spring weighing 1 kilogram and you stored enough energy in it so that its weight increased by one billionth of a percent, would that change in weight be possible to detect? Or would it not be possible to detect?

that is what you have to specify----how fine a weighing scales you think is possible----after that it is easy

To do the calculation, suppose just for sake of discussion that you think it is possible to detect a change in weight of a trillionth of a percent----in this 1 kilogram spring. (this is hypothetical, I am not telling you how fine I think is humanly possible to measure)

then to make the spring weigh that much more, how much energy has to be stored in it? 90,000 joules.

90,000 joules is what you deliver to a spring if you pull with an average force of about 9 metric tons for a distance of 1 meter.

so you imagine a supermaterial so light and strong that you can make a spring weighing only 1 kilogram and you can hang like 18 tons on the spring and it will not break but instead it will stretch 1 meter

you may have to help it, like by lowering it gently down.

now you have stored 90,000 joules (90,000 newton x meters) in this perfectly elastic ideal supermaterial spring

it weighs a tiny fraction more which is ONE OVER 100,000,000,000,000

of a kilogram.

It weighs one trillionth of a percent more.

do you imagine that it is possible for humans to build a weighing machine that can detect a change of one trillionth of a percent of one kilogram?

that is the hard part----to say how sensitive it is possible to make weighing instruments

Slick, I am glad it made sense to you!

It occurred to me to add something---another way to put energy into a mass is simply to heat it. that should make it weigh more too.

We should be able to calculate how hot you would have to make

a 1 kilogram block of iron in order for it to increase its weight

by, say, one billionth of a percent.

i do not know offhand if that temp would be above its meltingpoint or not.

I am too sleepy now to think about it, but someone else may be able to make a rough estimate.