plutonium

yeah plutonium is toxic when injested no matter how little you intake

for radiation therapy you don't use things like plutonium.

the only radioisotope allowed for injesting is carbon-14

you will never find what you are looking for, and if the question would later result in an experiment you may want to read this

http://www.nrc.gov/materials/miau/med-use.html

yeah plutonium is toxic when injested no matter how little you intake

for radiation therapy you don't use things like plutonium.

the only radioisotope allowed for injesting is carbon-14

you will never find what you are looking for, and if the question would later result in an experiment you may want to read this

http://www.nrc.gov/materials/miau/med-use.html

"the only radioisotope allowed for injesting is carbon-14"

Yeah right! You know, with carbon-14 being in every living creature on Earth, you just might want to think it over before having even an extra dose. :) O-15, C-11, Tc-99m, hundreds of different isotopes of whatever... the list goes on. In PET (positron emission tomography, if someone wasn't familiar with the word) these are widely used.

Edit: And if you meant that C-14 is an isotope used in tumor treatment or other forms of radiation therapy: not likely. :P

"With the exception of the use of 1 microcurie carbon-14 urea radioactive drug capsules for in vivo diagnostic use in humans, all internal or external administrations of byproduct material or the radiation therefrom to human patients or human research subjects must be done in accordance with a medical use license (or authorization) issued pursuant to NRC’s regulations in 10 CFR Part 35, "Medical Use." NRC licenses the use of byproduct materials in diagnostic devices in the practices of dentistry and podiatry as part of medical use. The medical use of plutonium in nuclear powered pacemakers is licensed pursuant to 10 CFR Part 70."

so I took that to mean only carbon-14 is allowed for injestion

radiation therapy is normally carried out using xray machines correct?

also plutonium is man made, the odds of you having any in your system are low (except because of botched space launches and such)

I don't think anybody would have come up with a therapeutic index for it because I don't think anyone would have tried using it therapeuticly, or would have only found it harmful.

yea i wasnt sure whether this being medical or physic.. but anyway, i was interested particularly in the ED50 of plutonium, as i have read it's the most toxic substance known to men - so there must be a dosage that is not lethal but effective in terms of any possible therapeutical treatment.

how much of Pu is lethal?

"also plutonium is man made, the odds of you having any in your system are low (except because of botched space launches and such)"

You know, if you had a kilo of potatoes, I'd guess about 10 plutonium and/or americium nuclei disintegrate in there every second. :o That is a ridiculously low amount, but I like nitpicking. :>

Edit: Plutonium has been found in tobacco too! In ridiculously minute traces though, once again.

I had heard ounce that we all have trace amounts in our system because nasa boched a launch that was carrying a nuclear reactor with a few hundred grams of plutonium in it that got spread all over the earth.

and that you can detect this trace in every person on the planet

so I took that to mean only carbon-14 is allowed for injestion

C-14 is probably not widely used for therapy because the half-life is so long (5730 years IIRC). You want something that will decay fairly rapidly.

I recall injesting Barium for a test. Don't know which isotope.