Scramjet screams into history at 7,000mph

Douglas

• 4 weeks later...

well first off even if the technology was reliable then what is the speed going to have an impact on the passenger. i mean how many g's would that speed be? and like what Rasori mentioned "wouldn't you need to start the flight in Hawaii, accelerate until about LA, and then decelerate from NY on in order to actually keep the passengers in the realm of the living (slight exaggeration given, of course)?"

thats the best point

For an object going that fast, it would need a large deceleration time. Maybe if the flight went past it's target and was able to turn around in flight while decelerating. I don't know too much about this. Does that make any sense?

They could have it accelerate for the first half and decelerate for the second half. It decreases the average speed but it's more manageable.

Or' date=' perhaps, have it accelerate a while, then, decelerate in the landing pattern.[/quote']

just to get some numbers

7000 mph is about 3000 meters per second

so at one gee acceleration it would take 300 seconds to attain that speed

that is 5 minutes

I dont know what acceleration you imagine people will put up with

but one gee is physically not all that bad (we endure it constantly

and get used to it)

and 5 minutes at the beginning of the trip doesnt seem too bad either

during that 5 minute acceleration period you would go about 450 kilometers

to me it doesnt seem likely that people would want to travel that fast on regular commercial flights---but what do I know?---some might like it as a onetime thrill---or even as a preferred way of travel

I would agree with Nave for one main reason--as yet, we have not had a single successful supersonic commercial jet. The Concorde wasn't enough to keep itself in business, due to sound and fuel problems.

I can, however, see people wanting scramjet speed quite soon.