Explaining Dark Matter

Yarn

When normal matter orbits a body, and when its orbit is crowded, it tends to eventually collide with the body it is orbiting due to friction slowing it down until the radius of its orbit transects the orbited object's radius (supposing the orbited object were a sphere, like all large continuous celestial objects comprised of normal matter are).

Friction relies on the electrostatic force. Atom's are mostly empty space, and are interact less by direct contact between their actual physical parts than by the magnetic field produced by their charged subatomic particles. Some particles, e.g. neutrinos, lack a charge. This means they rarely interact with anything because charges do not effect them. In order for a neutrino to interact with normal matter, it must collide with that tiny portion of normal matter that is physical rather than a magnetic field. But neutrinos also have very little mass, so they don't, as far I as I have ever heard, get into orbits.

Now, if dark matter exhibits a combination of the traits of normal and neutrino matter, both of which are kinds of matter that have been proven to exist, we have an explanation that fits the data regarding dark matter halos. If dark matter has large mass, that explains its orbit. If dark matter doesn't interact electrostatically, then that explains why its orbit apparently doesn't decay.

It is in fact suspected that dark matter (if it exists) does not interact with the electro-magnetic force, thus it does not clump together as easily and doesn't emit light, but like I said, it doesn't really clump together, so there aren't really large masses of dark matter to account for orbital eccentricities, the amount of dark matter would try to evenly distribute in a system. I still don't know specifically why that would make it into a halo rather than just floating around the galaxy in average densities proportion to the strength of the black hole's gravitational pull, like normal matter, since gravity isn't the EM force and dark matter still interacts with gravity.

Edited by questionposter

• 4 weeks later...