Analysing of oil in water

Tharindu

Dear All,

As a project I need to analys oil content in a water sample. the sample is taken from the treated waste water plant. Already we have added some reagent to remove oil by scraping in DAF tank. But further I need to know whether the presence of oil in treated water.

I have small in house lab and I kindly ask you to help me to do this by simple methods. Im seeking simple test method to quantify oil in water.

Thank you

Edited by Tharindu

It rather depends on roughly how much oil there is, and what else is present in the water.

water sample does not have any solid or microbes. hence it gives clear liquid.

A simple hand centrifuge with a graduated cylinder should allow a good measure of this. I have used this technique successfully on fluid produced during drill stem tests on production oil wells.

can you please messege me a procedure ? thanx.

Tharindu, this is dredged up from forty year old memories. One uses a hand centrifuge of the type shown at this site. (http://www.djblabcare.co.uk/djb/product/1136/Centrifuges-C1011-Hettich_Hand_Centrifuge)

The device comes with graduated cylinders. Add a predetermined volume of the liquid to be tested to the graduated cylinder. Rotate rapidly until the oil and water have separated. My recollection is that this typically took around one minute. Read off the amounts of oil and of water and calculate percentages.

Tharindu, this is dredged up from forty year old memories. One uses a hand centrifuge of the type shown at this site. (http://www.djblabcar...Hand_Centrifuge)

The device comes with graduated cylinders. Add a predetermined volume of the liquid to be tested to the graduated cylinder. Rotate rapidly until the oil and water have separated. My recollection is that this typically took around one minute. Read off the amounts of oil and of water and calculate percentages.

Noted with Thanks