Simple Genetics Manipulation

jveteran

I'm doing research on Circadian Rythyms. I'm working on a theory that involves genetic manipulation. I don't know enough to ask the right question so please feel free to help me rephrase.

Basically I'd like to know if you can affect genetic switches and turn them on and off over generations by, lets say, surgically altering the body.

For example. Lets pretend that the earlobe produces testosterone, which of course it doesn't. But what if it did and lets say that a tribal group figured out that if they lopped off the earlobe members of the tribe exhibited different behavior.

This might become a religious custom and over many generations I am interested in knowing if changes in the children, and the childrens children could become noticeable.

Can you, by altering one system surgically, alter other systems, and genetic switches over generations. Is this possible? And what is that type of manipulation called so I can research that specifically.

Hope this makes sense and please feel free to tell me if it doesn't.

Thanks very much in advance.

JV

Genetics, by definition, means that it involves genetic material. Surgery, or any other procedure may affect metabolism or general physiology, but it will leave your genes unaltered.

I have little knowledge of biology, but it seems like he's talking about epigenetics, right?

How can you be sure that this action couldn't somehow turn a gene off, especially since epigenetics is not entirely understood?

If we take epigenetic effects into account things are more complicated, true. However, the likelihood that random surgery would target specific epigenetic changes that are propagated into reproductive cells is very low. The reason is that most epigenetic markers are not found in eggs and sperm, as it would invariably interfere with embryo development.

The chances for targeted manipulations are almost non-existent based on what little we currently know.

Note that the description of the OP does not resemble a typical situation of epigentic inheritance.

Edited by CharonY