How is this possible?

There were sons and daughters of immigrants who I think were born I think where New Mexico is, but the children were born citizens, but the parents broke no laws my immigrating there. How is this possible if legally anyone born in the US is suppose to be a citizen of the US?

Edited by questionposter

A trivial answer: the parents petitioned for and were granted permission to enter the United States.

Another trivial answer: The parents moved to the territory of New Mexico some time before January 6th, 1912 and remained there through that date. On that date, New Mexico became a state.

A trivial answer: the parents petitioned for and were granted permission to enter the United States.

Another trivial answer: The parents moved to the territory of New Mexico some time before January 6th, 1912 and remained there through that date. On that date, New Mexico became a state.

You should use spoiler tags if you think you have the answer, but your close, they were born where New Mexico presently is, but before it became a state.

To post answer in 'Spoiler', first I click Add reply, then click other styles, out of several options available I select 'Spoiler' and click it, a box opens for the message in which I type the message, and then I post it by clicking 'Add'. Then click 'Add Reply'.

spoiler

Is it Ok.

Edited by raj bhramar

To post answer in 'Spoiler', first I click Add reply, then click other styles, out of several options available I select 'Spoiler' and click it, a box opens for the message in which I type the message, and then I post it by clicking 'Add'. Then click 'Add Reply'.

spoiler

Is it Ok.

Yes, that seems to have worked.