About electrolysis and the ions at electrodes...

albertlee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, as a cation, does the element with lower electronegativity tend to loose the electrons???

Meanwhile, as an anion, does the element with higher electronegativity tend to accept the electrons??

Yes. That's a basic concept.

In electrolysis, composition of chemical is also a factor which affects the outcome of both electrode, cathode and anode. I haven't learnt that yet, maybe next year.

Can't give you any examples.

By the way, what kind of electrode and substance are used to displace potassium from its stable compound into a potassium metal

?

By the way, as a cation, does the element with lower electronegativity tend to loose the electrons???

Meanwhile, as an anion, does the element with higher electronegativity tend to accept the electrons??

Yes. That's a basic concept.

In electrolysis, composition of chemical is also a factor which affects the outcome of both electrode, cathode and anode. I haven't learnt that yet, maybe next year.

Can't give you any examples.

By the way, what kind of electrode and substance are used to displace potassium from its stable compound into a potassium metal

?

http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/chem241/en.html

Some info about calculating electronegativity in common use. Seems quite complicated though.

Edit: Also, found this one from the "strongest acid" thread (stated by budullewraagh):

according to linus pauling:

X=((0.31(n+1+or-c))/r)+0.50

n=valance electrons

c=formal valance charge on atom. is positive or negative depending on polarity of charge.

r=covalent radius

http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/chem241/en.html

Some info about calculating electronegativity in common use. Seems quite complicated though.

Edit: Also, found this one from the "strongest acid" thread (stated by budullewraagh):

n=valance electrons

c=formal valance charge on atom. is positive or negative depending on polarity of charge.

r=covalent radius

n=valance electrons

r=covalent radius

although I know little about the scale,

It seems to be very familiar to me. Anyone posted this before?

n=valance electrons

r=covalent radius

although I know little about the scale,

It seems to be very familiar to me. Anyone posted this before?