Claytronics

Aman shah

Reference :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytronics

Claytronics is an abstract future concept that combines nanoscale robotics and computer science to create individual nanometer-scale computers called claytronic atoms, or catoms, which can interact with each other to form tangible 3-D objects that a user can interact with. This idea is more broadly referred to as programmable matter.[1] Claytronics has the potential to greatly affect many areas of daily life, such as telecommunication, human-computer interfaces, and entertainment.I will and some people like to know more about such technologies and other related future technologies.

Hello Aman shah,

The next comment is not criticism - only a friendly tip.

On the forum, we like to discuss something. So, if you ask a good question, you will get a better response. That's better for everybody.

Here, you ask just for "more information"... it is too open. And you will notice that the thread will not go in the direction you like. With a good question, you can give the thread the direction you like!

cheers,

CP

Back on topic (I hope): is this claytronics much different from the supercolonies of ants, bees and other insects?

Yes,that is much different,the small particles are basically tiny computer chips that are programmed to communicate and combine with each other in order to form a shape!This technology is still under R&D.

I also came to know about a similar type of technology but a bit different(smart dust):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartdust

Edited by Aman shah

Yes,that is much different,the small particles are basically tiny computer chips that are programmed to communicate and combine with each other in order to form a shape!This technology is still under R&D.

I also came to know about a similar type of technology but a bit different(smart dust):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartdust

But ants can make

, using nothing but themselves (they link their own bodies to make a bridge). It sounds like it fits the description...

rolleyes.gifYes,I do agree,but they programme themself ,here in claytronics scientists use static force of attraction and softwares to program them.

I agree with CaptainPanic, Computer scientists build models that approximate the systems of ants, bees, ..etc

models that approximate, but are never the exact .. in-between Soundness and Abstractness