Whats in this HE?

DandyGurl

I have some exploding targets, that a friend gave me. I get .25 kg of a white powder (assuming its a nitrate) and a table spoon of silver powder (Mg? Al?).

When mixed they need a no. 6 blasting cap or a 30-06 bullet to set it off. And man is it loud!!!!!!!

I want to know what it is. You cant burn it, or shoot it off with a .22 cal or even a .357 mag...

it's probably a flash powder

Flash power?!?!?!?!!?111111 common' :confused::rolleyes:

bobs-stupid.jpg

I'm not going to be messing around with perchlorates. I said that its not Flammable, and the impact of a .357 mag wont set it off...

Not to be a bitch but you need to take chem 101...

Any knowledgeable poeple know?

I'am sorry we dont know what a white powder is. I think there are around a billion white powders in the world so please dont be rude because we dont know what it is. Why don't you ask you friend what it is because after all he did give it to you.

Its some type of nitrate...

I was just joking around because with the properties I described there is no way it could be flash powder. Flash powder will detonate if you look at it wrong...

What tests should I do to figure out the two meterials? (house hold tests I have no gas chronometer!) The silver powder is definately Mg or Al, perhaps Titanium, but that would seem to expensive. I think the silver powder is the fuel and the white powder is the oxidiser...

Any knowledgeable poeple know?
Well clearly not you looking at your previous posts about how to post!! Don't be rude, it just makes you look brainless.

Look up US Patent Number 4498677 - although you do make me question the easy availability of guns and explosives.

calm down buddy. what you have is a metal powder and a strong oxidizer. that is' date=' most certainly, a flash powder.

your metal is probably aluminum or more probably magnesium. your white powder could be a myriad of things, so try some qualitative tests[/quote']

Flash powed is unstable stuff!!!!!!

This is the most stable HE i have ever seen.

This is my take on flash powder:

Flash powder can be set off by amazingly small amounts of static... I

forget the exact number, but I believe 20 microjoules is about right.

Last time I saw flash devicesbeing tested for static sensitivity, the energies were in the order of 1 to 10 microjoules.

Such flash was made of Ecka 5413

(i.e. "dark German") aluminium. 5413-flash is also the most powerful

and burns the fastest.

It coarse enough aluminium is used, the flash can take even half a

joule sparks. However, then the "flash powder" will no longer explode

anyway, but only burn like thermite.

This stuff I got is not flash... :):D

I figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

white powder (ammonium nitrate). I knew it was because it was hard to burn.

The other is a sensitizer which is a mix of aluminum powder, titanium sponge, and zirconium hydride (a powerful reducing agent).

Parts by Weight

Potassium chlorate 18

Sulphur 6

black fine powdered aluminum (400 mesh) 6

Bran 2-2.5

What would that make, I was warned not to mix sulphur and chlorates...

never mix Chlorates and sulpher!

it`s nothing to do with power, it`s all to to with unpredictability, it can react at ANY time without apparent cause. that`s why it`s dangerous :)

and Ammonal is largely only cap sensitive :)

I like to "play" with HE as a hobby... I have discovered shaped charges and the like. I wish I had a high speed Camera to see the detonation... Always trying to make a more efficient charge. I made one that ripped through a empty propane cyl. But left a plastic bottle untouched on the other side, of the HE device) within an inch from the charge. Talk about directional... Copper seems to "plastisize(sp?)" best...

any P and RP is the "safest", is bad to use.

as with sulpher based addatives or indeed Nitrates and chlorates (chlorates actualy Detonate proper!).

non are wise choices by any stretch! for any self respecting Scientist or Pyro, even the MILITARY! turned down these as Viable explosive ordinace because of their unpredictability!