The Big Science Challenge

saraa

Greywater systems that recycle non-toilet waste water for other uses are expensive but very effective. I remember looking into one that would save about 30% of my water use. The amount we drink or cook with as opposed to what we clean with is very small actually, and the amount we use to clean with is much more variable than what we use to drink and cook with. I think recycling grey water for other uses is a great idea.

I know in some countries they allow you to divert rain flow from your house gutters into catch-barrels to irrigate back yard gardens and such. I think that would be a great help in many parts of the world.

Is that not allowed in other countries?

In many urban areas in the US, they don't allow you to trap rainwater for your own purposes. You have to buy water from your local utility, who use the water cycle to replenish their commodity. They insist you don't interrupt the cycle by diverting water.

I saw the single-gutter rain barrel system in Germany and looked into it passionately when I got back to Colorado. Alas, none of those systems pass building code in the Denver Metro area. The water that falls on your property is not yours to do with as you please.