Half a Cold?

how is it possible to have HALF a cold (head cold)?

I woke up this morning after a lousey nights sleep with an earache, sore throat, a nasal infection etc.. but only on my left hand side?

even my jaw and the underside of my neck is swollen and in pain, but only on the left side?

it`s happened to me before, sometimes it`s just the right side, usualy a few days later the other side "gets it" and the original side starts to clear up.

How can that happen?

that may explain the lightheaded/mild dizzyness I feel if I move to fast. I thought it may have been sinuses doing it, as I even have pain in my cheeckbone.

edit: perhaps some fresh air will help a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve found out what`s causing it.

I have a severe sinus infection caused by a bad tooth.

now I`m on 500mg penacillin 4 times a day for 5 day, and feel as sick as a dog :(

I don`t know what`s worse, the infection or the tablets.

I`ve found out what`s causing it.

I have a severe sinus infection caused by a bad tooth.

now I`m on 500mg penacillin 4 times a day for 5 day, and feel as sick as a dog :(

I don`t know what`s worse, the infection or the tablets.

oooh....my sympathies...my husband once got a bite from some unidentified insect and ended up with a prescription for what can only be described as "horse pills"...they played havoc with his system and he had to go onto something milder. In fairness, he DID have the warning red tracks up his arm from the bite site so that was why they put him on the strong guns. I hope you feel better soon YT.

oooh....my sympathies...my husband once got a bite from some unidentified insect and ended up with a prescription for what can only be described as "horse pills"...they played havoc with his system and he had to go onto something milder. In fairness, he DID have the warning red tracks up his arm from the bite site so that was why they put him on the strong guns. I hope you feel better soon YT.

So how ya feelin' now? The drugs should be doing their magic. Do you have to get the tooth pulled or a root canal? I see more fun in your future.

I didn't see your post earlier or I'd have suggested it might be sinus - I had the same thing happen with one of my nasal sinuses - my nose looked like that of Bozo the clown and hurt like somebody had punched me out.

actualy I`ve had to make another appointment, there`s still infection and that horrid smell I get everytime I lean forwards (only I can smell it).

I`m on my last day with 3 tablets left, I think I`ll need another 2 days worth or something stronger. it`s made a mild improvement to the overall swelling and the occular socket doesn`t hurt as much as before, AND it hasn`t got any worse (so that`s a blessing).

maybe another 2 days worth should kick it in the pants, then I`m getting the tooth pulled, and I won`t take NO for an answer this time, I`de sooner get it done before the hollidays, than risk them being spoiled by a reocurance.

fingers Crossed :)

Sounds similar to what i used to get as a kid. Started in my ears worked down to my stomach. Went deaf, felt like some one was stickin some thing hot and pointy in my ear drum, swallowed a bag of broken glass and couldn't eat or walk from the vomiting and nausia. Every four months or so. Ah those were the days. :) The tubes connecting your ears and sinuses and throat are quite small and swell up and block with mucose so it takes time for infection to spread directly. Get your wisdom teeth checked as soon as you can.:)

I had all that too as a kid, I was up the ENT docs weekly for months, tonsils out, gromets in ears etc...

this one is purely Tooth rellated, and a long story about the adjacent tooth that was removed (by nature from the jaw itself as a rejection), it would seem that the root bed next to it was weakened and infected also, ticking away like a little time bomb :(

oddly enough, my "wisdom teeth" are in perfect position and fully functional without a problem (maybe I have a big mouth!? :))

and anyway, when this suckers gone, I`ll be glad of ANY teeth I`ve got left! :)

I had all that too as a kid' date=' I was up the ENT docs weekly for months, tonsils out, gromets in ears etc...

this one is purely Tooth rellated, and a long story about the adjacent tooth that was removed (by nature from the jaw itself as a rejection), it would seem that the root bed next to it was weakened and infected also, ticking away like a little time bomb :(

oddly enough, my "wisdom teeth" are in perfect position and fully functional without a problem (maybe I have a big mouth!? :))

and anyway, when this suckers gone, I`ll be glad of ANY teeth I`ve got left! :)[/quote'] Sounds like your last extraction was a bad one even for nature. Theyre supposed to drill out the root and some of the jaw bone its linked to. I had a broken jaw and tooth and an extraction. Now all the teeth on my lower left jaw are dead,gone/dyin. The infection ate away some of my jaw bone too but thats all healed now so I got a stronger jaw out of it :D

I had no such treatment, you were fortunate!

I fear this may continue until I`m SOoooo I`ll they`ll have no choice :((

mine is Upper left jaw and after the extraction bits of jaw came out the hole for 3 months on and off, complete with marrow and internal bone structure (some was black).

happily when I made my apptmnt this morning, it was all booked so I get to see a locum doctor, therefore I get a second opinion *BONUS*! :))

I`de like to ask the bio-chemists/Doctors here, after such a dose of antibiotics, I know it kills GOOD bacteria too AND your Immune system.

would it be a good idea to drink these bio-active Yogurts for a few weeks and take plent Vit C,A,and E and Sellenuim anti-oxidants to reverse any damage and get me back to Good again?

500mg penicillin qds for 5/7 is fairly standard for dental infections. Alternatives would be erythromycin or metronidazole, both of which are worse for side effects than the penicillins.

Penicillin and flucloxacillin are both pencillins, but flucloxacillin is not inactivated by penicillinase and so can be used if penicillin fails.

Of course ideally the doctor would take samples to find out what is actually causing the infection rather than what they think is.

One of the best places for drug information is http://www.bnf.org (the British National Formulary - my bible). You have to register, but it's free to do so.

there were no such tests done, and the infection STARTED as dental, and became somewhat more than that eventualy :(

erythromycin tetracyclin and one or 2 others I`ve had before also, non has made me feel as ill as these 500mg flucox though.

I got sick over the weekend and also have a sinus infection - but not from a bad tooth. I think it's been there and sort of dormant for a long time - I've been having unexplained hoarseness for almost a year - had various tests but nothing showed up.

Anyway - yesterday morning I was one sick puppy. My doc prescribed a "Z Pak" - Zithromax. There are only 6 pills. You take 2 the first day and one a day for the next 4 days. It is potent stuff. I am feeling better but daren't stray more than a few feet away from the bathroom.

well, illnesses suck and thats for sure!

best thing is just to take some pills for it and live it out.... it happens, aint much more you can do than wait for it to go.

think about it this way, next time you get the same infection you will be able to fight it off better!!!

i dont seem to get ill much anymore, i spose thats a good thing! really though, havent had anything for ages! :)

but get well to all you have [got an illness].

well I`m on the same dose and medication for another 5 days now. oddly enough, I think I`m adapting to the medicine, the sick feeling is only on occasion now. I feel generaly better than before too, so thus far thus good :)

now I just gotta get the tooth yanked <Shiver>