Surviving Gradschool in Sciences

GradSchoolShopper

Now that the application process is almost finished for graduate programs, I thought it would be a nice idea to have a place to share advice and tips about graduate programs (regardless of the application itself.)

There are quite a lot of people in this forum with graduate-degrees in the sciences -- how was grad school for you? Do you have any tips or advice for new students going through the process? What would you recommend a student would consider when picking a program in case they received multiple affirmative responses to their application?

Let's share our experience!

I have one that is less about the graduate program itself, but regarding the eventual decision to join a group. Everything from my point of view, of course.

Most departments have lab rotations. Use this time to gauge the atmosphere in the group and not only the work/science. Talk to individual members over a coffee/tea. Keep in mind that everyone can be nice for 15 mins, but you are spending 3-5 years with those guys. While a good group name can be important and working on a high-profile project can put a science career in a good trajectory, it is also important to know whether you can click with the other members and the boss

The latter will become important come graduation time and possibly even more so afterwards. If the lab climate is bad, you are in for a miserable time and being a grad student is all about having fun in getting into and doing science (somewhat) free from politics. So do not only focus on big names alone.

Also maybe a word regarding classes: at some point they will take a backseat compared to actual research. While one should not fail, it is often not worth it to put that extra time into it to get a few additional points, if you can use it to further a research project. Transcripts are rarely requested after graduation.

Finally, a certain measure of humility is often helpful. People are more likely to mentor you, if you do not pretend to be a know-it-all (even on the off chance that you do, which would indicate that your research is most likely not very original...).

I don't know the exact working of the "grad school" system in the US, but as soon as you start to conduct research my advice would be: Read a paper a week which is from your field, even though it may not be directly necessary at the very moment. Read them properly but casually (e.g. in the bus or train - perhaps not during lunch with your group :unsure:). Don't worry if you do not understand everything (during the first year or so). Don't get excited and try to read ten a week to be a better student (unless there is actual reason to do it, like that you cite them - which for most people is not necessarily a reason to read them, anyways :rolleyes:). Just keep doing it - it will accumulate to quite a bit of reading over 3+ years.