Some Numbers I Threw Together

Pangloss

Keep an eye on Denise Majette of Georgia. She just lost her Senate bid, but she has both popular and moderate appeal. I have conservative and moderate friends and family in Georgia who voted for her. Looks like a real up-and-comer for the Democrats.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

douglas' date=' why should the dems NOT bitch for a week or two, we're trying to emulate the republicans...

RE-ELECT GORE!!![/quote']

Yeh but, the Repubs had something to bitch about.....No???

I'm still worried that Terry McAuliffe and Michael Moore will demand an Ohio recount. What kind of voting machines did they have in Ohio? I assume they weren't the "hanging chad" or "dimpled chad" type.

Keep an eye on Denise Majette of Georgia. She just lost her Senate bid, but she has both popular and moderate appeal. I have conservative and moderate friends and family in Georgia who voted for her. Looks like a real up-and-comer for the Democrats.

P'gloss, I know you voted for Kerry, I was wondering if you voted for Betty Castor.

I did. Martinez took such a flying leap to the far right in the two televised debates that even Castor's "bully of the world" statement and her opposition to Amendment 1 wasn't enough to drive me back to Martinez. I was halfway expecting him to drive his car into the hall and run over a gay person or something.

But I have no particular reason to think he'll make a poor senator.

- The White House will have been under Republican control for 8 years (no more blaming Clinton)

- Congress will have been under Republican control for six years (and the House for *14* years)

ah yes

- Iraq still won't be resolved (we may even still have troops there)

- Afghanistan will likely have undergone a civil war and return to despotism

No matter who was president, you can resolve something that big in a couple years completely. We could always just stop helping people, we could just let unjust dictators rule over countries cruelly, and we could let countries take over other countries, and let them kill each other. Oh and if some one has a natural disaster, who cares. We don't want to offend anyone so we'll just leave 'em alone, they can take care of themselves. We could all become an ultra conservative country and slowly decay closed off from the rest of the world.

- Europe will still be annoyed with us

Frankly I'm getting a little anoyed with Europe for not supporting what had to be done and they refused to do.

Frankly I'm getting a little anoyed with Europe for not supporting what had to be done and they refused to do.

Yes that's right, stick all of Europe in the "you didn't support what had to be done" bucket.

It will serve us right for telling you "you picked him, you live with it" in a year's time :P

I don't understand. This is a sad day in america, IMO. Sure, bush won it, and there is no arguing that point. However, don't forget that there is damned near 49% of the ppl who didn't want bush.

So with his little mess in Iraq, the other little messes he's been talking about making, and the fact that america is no longer united, he's certainly got his work cut out for him.

What scares me is the crazy religous people have full control now. Watch out non-christians.

As I said when Howard won the election over here: "People deserve the government they voted for". Take that as you will.

Just an interesting point, I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but over here the conservative, anti-worker, pro-Bush party are called the Liberal Party, which cofused the hell out of me when I was first learning about political systems around the world.

Whats to rethink?

Bush is a born-again

Most republicans are catholic or born-agains,

And bush is most certainly crazy.

I believe our country will be a theocracy by the time bush finishes. I certainly hope I'm wrong, and, maybe you should explain what's wrong with my thinking, because, best as I can tell the religous right has control of the government.

ashcroft spent 8 grand to cover a tit....i know what i'd like to do with 8 grand...and its not covering a tit.

what did the republicans have to bitch about?

i really dont think that its a good thing to be getting annoyed with the europeans. how would we ever build a coalition with that type of attitude. im sure(like many conservatives) you're a gung ho type of guy, lets kill em all ourselves and take no prisoners, we dont need no help. lets show everyone how tough we are. well, thats the WRONG mindset. with THAT type of mindset, you better believe that the death toll for americans would be WELL over 1000 people. im sure that you're pretty sorry for those 1000 soldiers families arent you? well, how would you feel if we cut off europe and our death toll rose? would that be the right thing to do for america? i give my hats off to the brittains for going to this moronic war with us. if it was all US soldiers over there...you better believe the death toll would've surely got kerry elected.

umm, no. clinton wasnt a puppet like bush is. and yes, i think it was reported on CNN(granted, not unbiassed) a year ago that if hillary ran she would defeat anybody by at least 75% of the popular vote. i think it was a poll that they had conducted throughout the country. but, she said she wouldnt take a bid in the 04 election and she declined to comment on her chances in the 08 election, if she will be there or not.

It's not the religious people you need to watch out for. In fact, it's that kind of thinking that got you into this mess.

Special interest groups run this country. They control congress, and they control the agenda. They're *why* you think the agenda is religion.

If Democrats can solve THAT one, they'll bowl this country over in 2008.

- Stop *making* an enemy out of people who happen to have religious beliefs.

- Do something about special interests.

- Dominate the CENTER of political discourse, instead of the EXTREME LEFT.

It's not the religious people you need to watch out for. In fact' date=' it's that kind of thinking that got you into this mess.

Special interest groups run this country. They control congress, and they control the agenda. They're *why* you think the agenda is religion.

If Democrats can solve THAT one, they'll bowl this country over in 2008.

- Stop *making* an enemy out of people who happen to have religious beliefs.

- Do something about special interests.

- Dominate the CENTER of political discourse, instead of the EXTREME LEFT.[/quote']

Religious people are a special interest group. They have an agenda just like a gun lobby, business lobby etc

Religious people are a special interest group. They have an agenda just like a gun lobby, business lobby etc

Religious people are different than religious nuts.

BTW, John Howard is a conservative, I've heard that the liberal press beat him up.

What was his percentages of the total vote?

As a matter of opinion, and as a scientist, I think that all conservative christians are nuts, but I emphasise that this is most definitely only my opinion. I believe that governments should be secular, and that any religious input (from any denomination or other religious persuasion) should be completely ignored as a matter of principal.

For clarification, John Howard (or "Bush's lapdog" as I like to call him) is indeed conservative, and is the leader of the Liberal Party (as confusing as that may be). Although he is conservative I would still say he sits slightly to the LEFT of the Democrats in the US

Also you shouldn't get independent media mixed up with liberal media; for the record his oponent Mark Latham got a bigger beat up in the press.

We also have a different voting system here in Australia, the liberal party would have got about 43% of the vote, but a preferential system and a coalition with the National Party gives them the power.

For clarification' date=' John Howard (or "Bush's lapdog" as I like to call him) is indeed conservative, and is the leader of the Liberal Party (as confusing as that may be). Although he is conservative I would still say he sits slightly to the LEFT of the Democrats in the USAlso you shouldn't get independent media mixed up with liberal media; for the record his oponent Mark Latham got a bigger beat up in the press.

We also have a different voting system here in Australia, the liberal party would have got about 43% of the vote, but a preferential system and a coalition with the National Party gives them the power.

Interesting. Are you saying he (Howard) sits to the left of the moderate democrats? Surely he can't be to the left of the "far left" dems.

Is the labor party more liberal than the "liberal" party?

I miss Al Gore :-( .

Atm, Gore commited political suicide when he started the civil war in Florida.

Notice that Kerry bowed out graciously, he made political points.

Richard Nixon lost to JFK in 1960, Nixon too, bowed out graciously, yet made a comeback in '68 and won.

I don't think Kerry is finished, I think you'll see him battling Hillary in the '08 primaries..........and perhaps wiping the floor with her.