Alcohol consumption and health

Greg Boyles

"I have little sympathy for them"

Then it's probably just as well that you won't be choosing their fate.

But my philosophy is already embedded in public health system, at least for smoking.

My father in law has been told that they wont give him an surgery to deal with his blocked coronory arteries unless he gives up the fags and stays off them.

They wont bet their sacrce resources on a lost cause and I don't blame them even though it is my father in law.

I am not going to read this becaue I'm drunk and I enjoy it.

Ignorance is bliss, yadyyada, I don't care when I die as long as I've lived.

To live in fear is to live wrong.

Living in fear has nothing to do with this.

It is about living responsibly.

With rights come responsibilities.

• 3 months later...
The debate/argument with John Cuthber in the previous thread is piqued my curiosity about this subject and I have been continuing to dig around.

A search in google scholar has revealed these two items, one published in 2004 and the other in 2006. Not the gradual change in position on alcohol consumption.

http://www.sciencedi...376871685900018

This is entirely inline with John Cuthber's and other's position in here.

I don't think there is that much controversy involved. Most researchers would agree that alcohol can have beneficial side effects for most people. The keywords I think are "moderate consumption." Most researchers would define moderate consumption of alcohol to be no more than 3 normal sized drinks per day for men. And women because they are normally smaller, no more than 2 drinks per day. Beyond this amount many researchers believe possible negative effects of drinking could outweigh any positive benefits. Any arguments I think would concern the quantity of alcohol advisable rather than possible beneficial side effects.

//

Edited by pantheory