Brain computer interfacing?

TransformerRobot

Like everything else, it depends entirely on how it's done. You'll need to discuss a very specific process or procedure or technology if you want to get specific about potential harms or benefits.

Well I was wondering if there has ever been a process that allows the operator to feel everything around the machine, while operating it through BCI. If there is such a process, would it be all that dangerous?

I'm not too sure. You're referring more to perceptual feedback from the outside world to the brain, instead of signals from the brain controlling a device in the outside world?

Have you looked into the Braingate technology, or the work being done with military veterans on artificial limbs after amputations?

I hear that Dualshock® can potential increase realism to such a level, so as to induce excitement in teenagers so great, that there is a marked increase in the risk of aggressive interludes during gameplay.

This may simply however, be rumor.

Well I just say a demonstration by MMSPgroup on YouTube on BCI typing.

I'm also asking about not only the brain's ability to control the machine through the interface, but if whatever happens to the machine will provide any kind of physical sensation to the user.

Edited by TransformerRobot

Well I just say a demonstration by MMSPgroup on YouTube on BCI typing.

I'm also asking about not only the brain's ability to control the machine through the interface, but if whatever happens to the machine will provide any kind of physical sensation to the user.

When making referencing statements, a link for others to quickly access the same information can only benefit you, given that you are looking for the opinions of others.

At technologies current present state, generally speaking no. But technically speaking Dualshock® does sort of do this and of course people are always working on new and innovative ways of doing things. The OP seemed concerned with invasive techniques that would establish this functionality. Of course there is significant research currently into such technologies. I have none to share off of the top of my head. Maybe I was a former subject of such an experiment?? :D

Just funnin' ya is all . .. . I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find your answers, as you have already demonstrated!

Edited by Xittenn

Another example would be flight simulators that function within a gyroscopic device. These can be used to navigate a live counterpart, and the operator has some benefit of sensation due to the movement of the rig.

Another example comes from a recent Canadian \o/ development. Some McMaster researchers have recently developed a unique device that allows for the remoting of surgical procedures. The device does produce sensational feedback to the surgeon, and is also is non-invasive.

I think most of the research being done with invasive techniques, involve the establishment/re-establishment of human to world interaction/sensation through BCI of disabled individuals who otherwise would have a significantly lowered standard of life.

Sorry, I probably wasn't specific enough.

What I was thinking of was if BCI was used to operate a high speed vehicle from a distance, and the vehicle exploded from either a mechanical failure or collision, would the operator be seriously injured as well? If so, how bad would their injuries be?

You are being specific about the wrong thing. The application is inconsequential, the type of interface used is what will define the extent of damages or the degree of risk to an operator. If a computer starts spraying the operator with acid because the remote is being sprayed with acid, then there is a degree of risk and damage can be incurred. If the operator has an electro-mechanical device implanted into the brain, and where such feedback could produce undesirable effects, then there is an issue. It depends on how you are defining the parameters.

Just to be clear the acid is real acid and is being physically sprayed onto the operator's body.

Is this like, if I die in my dreams, then I will not wake up?

Edited by Xittenn

Well, I guess that means my hypothesis is off.

I hypothesized the possibility that the vehicle could take so much damage that it destroyed the interface, killing the operator in the process, but that wouldn't happen unless the operator (very unlikely) had the system implanted in their brain.

I could say this for every post you've written: Keep your enthusiasm for science fiction toned down as much as possible when speculating amongst these forums. However, I don't say you can't keep it for inspiration.

Usually, a little bit of this "wild speculation" won't hurt much, but I think you've really gone over the top here.

Biography: Under the autistic spectrum

Same here! Although I, over all things, never let that spoil my scientific character. I'll be a goof idiot by everything else in life.

Depending on how bad it is, would autistic people be able to use BCI to aid their everyday lives?

Yes, but it depends on the specific technology and system you choose to use (you may be sensing a theme in my posts by now).