Rolling Regular Polygons around a Circle

benice

Nice, Benice.

Does it have some practical application?

----------------------

I saw in your examples that the curve ends where it started. You managed to equalize the perimeter of the circle with the perimeter of the polygon...

Edited by michel123456

Ooh, I like these.

wub.gif

Pretty.

Yeah I like them too. Benice, I was wondering did you develop the software for your spirographs or just create animations? Because there might be a market for children and some adults to generate spirographs on their computer. Afterall, a lot of my friends had spirographs when I was a kid and it might actually be something that would be fun / safe for them to create on a computer (safe in that it doesn't incorperate violence and other things that parents worry about when buying games / software for kids).

Hello everyone!

Thank you for your appreciation.

Nice, Benice.

Does it have some practical application?

----------------------

I saw in your examples that the curve ends where it started. You managed to equalize the perimeter of the circle with the perimeter of the polygon...

Hi michel123456,

I made them just for fun. :)

The epicycloid curves have some applications in gear design. (http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cycloid_gear)

If k (defined in this page) is a rational number, then the curve is closed and periodic.

If k is an irrational number, then the curve never closes.

That's a really neat type of spirograph you have constructed : )

Hi Daedalus,

we may superpose different curves with different colors on the same picture to make more beautiful patterns.

I was wondering did you develop the software for your spirographs or just create animations?

I use an open software called GeoGebra(v4.0) to make animations.

Edited by benice