Type 1 immune response?

ksdurg

Can someone clue me in as to what a type 1 immune response is?

It doesn't seem to be an official term, more like jargon that's used in an immunology lab. I"m having trouble finding any links for "type 1 immune response" that aren't related to type 1 diabetes.

Any help would be appreciated.

IIRC there are hypersensitivity disorders given the numbers I to IV, with I being common allergic responses, e.g. asthma, whilst Type IV represented delayed type hypersensitivity to antigens. Maybe if you use these as search strings it may relate to what you are looking for.

Edited by jimmydasaint

From a very prelliminary scan of the paper, it mentions Type I as including inflammatory responses to graft rejection, autoimmune reactions (also known as Type II and III hypersensitivity) and also seems to include normal Tcell-B cell interactions to antigen presentation, so the definition must have broadened since the 'old days':

More generally, the broad range of type 1 immune responses such as infectious diseases (intra and extracellular pathogens) or autoimmunity (diabetes, multiple sclerosis and lupus) that involve or require IFN-γ suggest a role for Pin1 in these processes as well.

Plos Link

Also found this ks:

Hypersensitivity (also called hypersensitivity reaction) refers to undesirable reactions produced by the normal immune system, including allergies and autoimmunity. These reactions may be damaging, uncomfortable, or occasionally fatal. Hypersensitivity reactions require a pre-sensitized (immune) state of the host. The four-group classification was expounded by P. H. G. Gell and Robin Coombs in 1963.[1]

Wiki

Edited by jimmydasaint

Can someone clue me in as to what a type 1 immune response is?

It doesn't seem to be an official term, more like jargon that's used in an immunology lab. I"m having trouble finding any links for "type 1 immune response" that aren't related to type 1 diabetes.

Any help would be appreciated.

After refreshing my memory it is not type 1 and type 2 etc immune responses, it is more specifically type 1 and type 2 etc hypersensitivity.

Type 1 hypersensitivity is specifically mediated by IgE antibodies that bind to tissue mast cells and trigger them to degranulate. In so doing the release a variety of substances that trigger an inflammatory response - edema(sweeling), caplillary dilation(redening) and accumulation of neutrophils(pus formation)

This can be localised, e.g. after receiving some vaccines and mosquito bites or systemic, e.g. analphalactic shock.

Edited by Greg Boyles

• 6 years later...

Hi!

I know this is super late and you probably already have the answer but I am a student and was searching for the answer to this question today. I figured if I posted my answer, other students could look here and stop. Anyway, type 1 immune response can also be thought of as "Cell-mediated or type 1 immunity" which "includes production of gamma interferon (IFN-γ) and generation of cytotoxic CD8 T cells."

This Baldwin paper evaluates Type 1 immune response and defines what they mean by "Type 1 immune response". Type 1 Hypersensitivity would be a different response (I believe). Thanks!

Evaluation of Type 1 Immune Response in Naïve and Vaccinated Animals following Challenge with Leptospira borgpetersenii Serovar Hardjo: Involvement of WC1+ γδ and CD4 T Cells

https://iai.asm.org/content/70/11/6147.full