Synthesis Route for Diol to Oxalane

dkhoo

I have a need to convert the following compound but I could not figure out the experimental procedure. I would appreciate for any advise.

post-62141-0-61721000-1322740652_thumb.jpg

What are the reagents, conditions and steps required?

1. Acetone .

2. What else?

Edited by dkhoo

Alright, the first question you should ask yourself is what find of functional group is in your product? You identified the key reagent to making it, acetone, but you're missing one other thing needed to make this particular functional group. It may help you to look at the mechanism.

Edited by hypervalent_iodine

Hello all!

You must use CH3COCH3 + Ethylene glycol, so you will got it.

It's a reaction of cetone reduction to Oxolane.

1,3 Dioxolane - Dimethyl

Sry about my bad english. ^^

I'm sry, is a reaction of oxidation. Cuz if you reduce a cetone you will got a secundary alcohol.

Edited by william santos

William, both the OP and your post are missing one critical reagent in your synthesis.

Since I assume the need for this answer has expired, I will give you a big hint by telling you that the compound is an acetal. What is required for acetal formation to occur?

Edited by hypervalent_iodine

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm confused as to whether you understand the missing reagent?

As others were trying to point out, the reagent can be determined mechanistically. You have suggested you know the mechanism, which I beleive as it is easily aquired from a google search, so I will just tell you the reagent you are missing.

You need an acid catalyst. In literature I have noted that TsOH is used, however I feel comfortable assuming that other acids (e.g. HCl) would be effective. TsOH is probably used in literature because of its solubility in non-polar solvents like benzene.