Most powerful solar reflector

superball

Greetings all, Research, and development stages.

The idea of using solar power has been determined to be a viable resource.

There is a lack of information of engineering based concepts on the subject.

What I am suggesting is, engineering, and development.

Is there any information you can provide, listing the best solar reflector designs ?

I have not seen enough research leading to development, or concepts that increase the output of reflectors..

Is there any one working in the field who has engineered a solar reflector?

"The smaller the mirrors the greater the reflective power."

Sincerely, super-ball.

Edited by superball

Greetings all, Research, and development stages.

The idea of using solar power has been determined to be a viable resource.

There is a lack of information of engineering based concepts on the subject.

What I am suggesting is, engineering, and development.

Is there any information you can provide, listing the best solar reflector designs ?

All these do is concentrate solar energy. There's really not much to the design; anything roughly parabolic and shiny will do the trick.

It's also not that hard to get close to 100% efficiency.

The problem comes in using the sunlight you have concentrated to do something.

If you just want to heat something nearby, it's a good plan.

You can also use the heat to power some kind of generator (and get the losses inherent in a heat engine).

There are designs around for solar collectors that work this way (and I think some commercial plants), but the main focus seems to be on photovoltaics.

About reflectors: high quality coatings (effectively mirrors) already can reflect nearly 100% of the energy from the sun. The question is what you do with this now:

1. Make electricity

2. Make heat (and then possibly electricity, or you use the heat)

Don't look at those Archimedes death rays too much. That's all funny for Mythbusters and such, but it is completely pointless to adjust your focus point in a practical application to make energy. That archimedes death ray can hit a moving object with concentrated solar power... but unless your name is Archimedes, why would you want to do that??

The place where you want to focus the energy is always the same (just make sure it doesn't move), and sun rays are always parallel to each other...

About reflectors: high quality coatings (effectively mirrors) already can reflect nearly 100% of the energy from the sun. The question is what you do with this now:

1. Make electricity

2. Make heat (and then possibly electricity, or you use the heat)

Don't look at those Archimedes death rays too much. That's all funny for Mythbusters and such, but it is completely pointless to adjust your focus point in a practical application to make energy. That archimedes death ray can hit a moving object with concentrated solar power... but unless your name is Archimedes, why would you want to do that??

The place where you want to focus the energy is always the same (just make sure it doesn't move), and sun rays are always parallel to each other...

You have simply assumed reflection as the determining factor.

I understand this is what was given, overlooking information is no excuse.

I simply state by the information provided. In relation to the experimental research on optics, is by no means what i want to account for.

I have advanced these concepts indefinitely. Right down to the smallest space of refraction.

I am speaking of the study's I have preformed. What is reflection, what is refraction. Can reflectors demonstrate increased reflection greater then 100 %, The answer a given no.

In seeking in terms of energy. Can concepts of optics be applied. The answer is a definitive yes.

The study of refraction. It is a progression of technology, I have taken this into account.

what is it that may have been excluded?

The smaller the mirror the greater possibility of refraction. I have discovered importance. The energy of a single photon is greater. It is greater than the reflection of photon, based on surface area alone..

I simply give this technology to be understood, and advanced. Lets do it forum engineers. You now can understand concept. Provided by the philosophical views of your peers, and all that have came before us.

It is the operation of refraction. A given photon train. Each photon energy is equal, now we may understand what has been implied.

Optict refraction

Sincerely super ball.

Edited by superball

I am not sure I understand what you're talking about... so if the 2 questions below sound silly, please correct me. But the way I understand your post above, I have to ask this:

1. Why would refraction be different from reflection, apart from the fact that the angle of the outgoing photons is different?

2. And are you seriously claiming here that you can somehow gain more than 100% energy from a light source by using refraction at a tiny scale?