LRO Image question

mooeypoo

So, NASA released this amazing topographical map of the far side of the moon, based on images from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO):

604359main_WAC_CSHADE_O000N1800_1000.jpg

(Source: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news/lro-topo.html)

But this got me thinking. On Earth we define 0-elevation as sea-level. Anything below is negative, anything above is positive. But there's no sea on the moon, or liquid water -- where's the 0-elevation defined, then? Why is this map showing negative elevation values?

It just peaqued my curiosity, wasn't entirely sure.

Thanks,

~mooey

I must admit I didn't realise the massive changes in altitude on the moon. Just north (?) of the mid line and to the right of centre there is a green crater within a cm (on my display ) of a white crest around a larger crater. According to rough guesses this is a change of over 10km in altitude in a horizontal distance of around 250km - that's one hell of a hole

Gross? The picture?? Really!?

Eh, Clusterphobia.

Super picture of Moon's far side! All the craters makes me think how vulnerable we are to an astoriod collisions, One's gonna hit us eventually. We really do need to develop a program to deflect astoroids.

isnt our atmosphere pretty efficient for the vast majority of stardust crap that's flung at us?

Star dust, yes. What produced the big-ass craters on the moon? No.

Well doesn't our atmosphere turn those same big-ass meteors into star dust? If we had no atmosphere, I'm pretty sure we would be speckled with craters that size.

Also, our planet is bubbling, oozing, replacing old crust with new crust... mending the wounds from God's galactic trebuchet. The moon seems to be pretty dead and unchanging, proudly displaying the evidence throughout time.

Well doesn't our atmosphere turn those same big-ass meteors into star dust? If we had no atmosphere, I'm pretty sure we would be speckled with craters that size.

what makes you think we aren't? erosion and plants do a damn good job of hiding them, things the moon doesn't have.