Weekend Warrior Drinking

Hyperlite

After a stressful week, there is nothing I like to do better than to enjoy the company of good friends and drink a considerable ammount of alcohol. Though I am not an alcoholic, I truly enjoy the carefree effects of relaxation and mild euphoria, especially after a stressful weekend. I would thereby consider myself a "weekend warrior" as far as my drinking habits are concerned. Though I am certainly not drunk all weekend, I do on occasions get pretty smashed (8-12 beers or equivalent drinks) but on most nights I may drink less than 6. Nevertheless, I am an extremely healthy person, I work out and eat right all week. I feel my only downfall would be my drinking habits. From a health perspective, I consider alcohol fairly benign in moderate quantities, however, I would like the educated perspective of someone besides my friends to determine any health concerns to my weekend activities... Just wondering...

• 2 weeks later...

heck, I know an old man right now who used to drink a 5th of everclear (195 proof, 95% alcohol) every night for 40 years, and has not a problem wrong with him.

I also know another old man, around the same age, who drank cheap american beer, everynight. He drank enough he traded the cans in each month to help with the rent. Anyhow, he's been on dialysis for about 8 years now.

Same to smokers, I've know people who smoke like a 2 stroke for 20, 30 years and have not a problem. Then there are people who smoked when they were younger, end up with lung cancer, or some other related problems.

I think ole jesus said it best though, "Everything in moderation."

I'd say away from beer though, its nasty stuff. The thing about alcohol, if you drink to much, it will come back up :)

• 3 years later...

if you want to be healthier then stop drinking, however if you want to drink then do so. hell you could get hit by a bus tomorrow anyway. alcohol has some beneficial effects, like preventing RA and thinning blood. not to mention what the health benefits of stress reduction are. im sure everyone here could site article after article arguing the benefits or detrements. but since this road ends in death anyway you might as well enjoy the ride.

Stopping drinking isn't completely the best fix.

Perhaps cutting down on the intake is a better idea.

If it's really enjoyable and makes you relax, it shouldn't be a problem...unless you're a person who find razors wrapped in barbed wire a nice way to enjoy the weekend.