Man made in gods image.

fweatherbee

This is a question I have thought about for the last 12 years. (What does it mean to be made in Gods image?) I believe that being made in Gods image means not physical but emotional image. What makes me believe this is because that's the only thing we as humans have in common with God. Think about this... God loves, gets jealous (no false gods), gets angry (a lot in the old testament), he hates (evil), gets lonely (why else would we be here?), and he gets happy and sad. As far as anyone knows he gets depressed just like we do. Anyway my point is this, if this is true then that would make God.... not "perfect". We have freewill, God could make us love him but he wants us to love him on our own. So that brings me to this, if we were made by God and put on the earth with freewill just because God was lonely then doesn't that mean he can be selfish just like us? So why not just skip this part and go straight to Heaven? Satan started out in Heaven, maybe God learned from his mistake and that's why we got freewill. Now he knows who the trouble makers are ahead of time. I hope I don't offend anyone i'm just looking for fresh thoughts, I do believe we are made in Gods emotional image, I just think he has a lot more control over his. Thank you for your feedback.

I don't want to be an ass, here, but... perhaps it means the story was made up by relatively unimaginative Bronze Age desert people who didn't really have the same concerns about narrative consistency and clear operationalization of terms that we do? It's just a thought.

This is a question I have thought about for the last 12 years. (What does it mean to be made in Gods image?)...

Pope John Paul II gave a five-year series of homilies on this topic. It's referred to as the Theolgy of the Body. Fr. John Riccardo gives a good summary of it here:

http://frjohnriccardo.libsyn.com/category/Theology%20of%20the%20Body

There are two series of talks, one from 2008 and another from 2010. I highly recommend them.

I don't want to be an ass, here, but... perhaps it means the story was made up by relatively unimaginative Bronze Age desert people who didn't really have the same concerns about narrative consistency and clear operationalization of terms that we do? It's just a thought.

[/quote

You could be correct but just remember, we need all forms of religion. How else do you control a population? We have to be scared of something or we would do anything.