Organic Chemistry model sets?

emeraldgirl08

It really depends on how good you are at visualising things in 3D. I myself never really needed one thoughout undergrad, though I know of lecturers, etc. who still struggle without the assistance of models. Essentially, if you feel that you can imagine things in 3D and manipulate images in your head without the need of a physical model, then a molecular model kit is somewhat unnecessary. If not, then definitely get one. You don't really need anything particularly intricate or expensive, either. They all do more or less the same thing regardless of price.

Edited by hypervalent_iodine

I think that it is not really necessary, as you can also find many 3D models online, which might help you to visualize the compounds just as well.

Most universities that I know of allow you to take in model kits to exam. I doubt they'd be so lenient with computers. Additionally, it can sometimes be easier to visualise things in 3D with the structure in your hand than on a computer screen. As I said above, it's really a case of each to their own.

Thanks for the replies :)

I will proceed to purchase a $20 set. If it turns out that I don't use it too much I'll build an occasional structure and make a chemistry ornament for next years holidays tongue.gif

I feel it'll be kinda nifty to be able to build structures on my own anyway.

Most universities that I know of allow you to take in model kits to exam.

^^^ this may be reason enough to buy one! Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the university's chemistry department will give out model sets on loan (just give your student ID).

Ask if they have model sets.

I found the model set to be useful for the first semester of organic chemistry. It was worth using a lot. I suggest you get used to using it to understand the fundamentals of mechanisms. It helps for naming molecules, also. Organic I is not hard as long as you practice the fundamentals of what you're learning and can use those fundamentals in different situations.

The model may be useful on an exam if you're dead tired and can't visualize things 3D. And it may give you a sense of procedural knowledge on how a mechanism works, thus leading you to answer some abstract questions using a mechanism with similar but different organic molecules and reactants.

For the second semester of organic chemistry, I used it sparsely, and it was useful on some mechanisms where I could not figure out how the molecule broke apart and then reformed (often during ring formation mechanisms). I can't recall which reaction it was. The professor was big on ring formation mechanisms.

At that point, you probably just want to make your favorite organic molecule, tie on some string, and hang it from somewhere.

Edited by Genecks