What would be this curve?

pars

Try looking at trigonometric functions

Couldn't I describe it as a "cubic" curve? There's probably some other Latin word for it, but it looks like a cubic equation where y≤a unless that line is there just to mark the exact integer of a.

Edited by questionposter

cubic are not asymptotic to values of x - whereas that curve looks as if y will tend toward -ve infinity as x approaches d (and for x=0). ie cubic equations do not have a value of x for which y is not defined but this one does. Shape-wise it does look like a cubic - but the cubic heads off to infinity for both x and y - not just y

You are going off on a tangent now. Swansont has got the right idea.

questionposer isn't completely off-base. The graph looks like cotangent, but that has a steeper slope at the zero-crossing, and this graph is flatter. cot^3 looks like a better fit.

questionposer isn't completely off-base. The graph looks like cotangent, but that has a steeper slope at the zero-crossing, and this graph is flatter. cot^3 looks like a better fit.

Oh wait, I didn't notice that the dashed line represents an asymptote. If that's the cause, it's definitely not a cubic function, it looks like a tangent function although I can't say that for sure because it's zoomed in so much, so it's still possible it's an inverse function. Although you need 3 sides to make a triangle, so how could one side actually be 0? I guess it's just where math and nature don't match up.

Edited by questionposter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...