Live Cells Imaging

what cell types are you talking about? But in terms of top-of-the-line microscope for biological research Nikon, Zeiss, Leica and Olympus are usually the brands you end up with.

At this level your precise application and their respective offering, as well as support is going to be more relevant than the brand per se.

Edited by CharonY

Thank you.

We actually have done this. And now we end up with this two. I was using the Nikon quite long time, but I'm not familiar with Leica at all. The problem (according on my personal experience) is that the microscope looks pretty nice during the presentation, but the real problems you see when you work long (like some software issues, I don't know, not so many file format support, or mechanical questions, or the problem to keep the cells alive). The cells we use are Cancer cells (U2OS) and HeLa cells, in most cases.

Keeping cells alive with the incubator things that many offer is kind of tricky, regardless of the microscope, obviously. For the most part we rely on third-party software (as e.g. micromanager or use something that we write in Labview) to control the software, likewise for postprocessing (matlab, for example).

The way we do it, is try to visit a lab that has it up and running and use our samples and do a simple experiment. In most cases it will be down to support and ergonomics, unless you got specialized application, as the optics part in all cases is pretty competitive.

That is right. But for working with images I use Figure Adapter that is quite handy. It works with any graphical format. For the analyzing - NisElemenst from NIkon is ok, but then you still need some other good graphical software like Figure Adapter to convert files to the format you want.

The issue with auto-focus is the important if you gonna follow the cells. Nikon has a PFS (perfect focus system) but I'm not quite happy with that. I don't know... we will have the test-drive for both next week. And actually they have different type of incubators. We'll see.

Hi. I think you're talking about a different scope than I've used, but I've directly used a Leica confocal for time-lapse imaging of cells in flux before. Our protocol involved keeping the cultures alive for months, so we'd only do 12 hour scans at a time, and give them a few days to recuperate in the standard incubator. The images it produced were spectacular, really top-notch stuff, however, we often had to have their technician in working on it, as we got a ton of software errors. Hope that helps. Let us know what you selected!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...