minor surgery pain medicine

kellbrook

can they use just NSAIDs ... for minor surgery like for muscle biopsy?

Something less than general anesthesia is possible depending on the surgery itself, but that protocol may require general anesthesia. For example, the doctor could administer a sedative intravenously followed by local anesthesia, and the patient would remain awake yet comfortable and pain-free. Talk to the doctor about this, and ask around about what other doctors are willing to do. Some doctors may prefer the above method (for legal/malpractice reasons, if nothing else).

The patient might use NSAIDs (or nothing) afterwards in recovering from the operation. For example, I walked out of the hospital 15 minutes after waking up from hernia surgery and took only acetaminophen for the first 24 hours, whereas the doctor/staff wanted me to stay longer and to administer opiates.

Hi Kelly,

I've had biopsies taken without pain meds; depending on where they're biopsying, it can be very painful, or not at all. For any biopsy, NSAIDS are forbidden, due to bleeding concerns. They'll also be forbidden during recovery, for the same reasons. Most likely, they'll administer lidocaine or similar, or give you twilight sedation, which is not the same thing as general anesthesia. But a muscle biopsy is a trivial thing, comparatively, unless they're going after a growth. Oh, and, PS, without organ pain, you won't be going into shock. Good luck!

• 6 months later...

hi, when my brother got the minor surgery (twice) local anesthesia was used to stop/minimize any pain from the procedure. The other stuff would be used to control post-procedure discomfort. In my brother's case, they had small cyst removed and while he was a little sore after the local wore off, the discomfort was easily tolerable without any further medication.

It depends. These days medicine is generally tailored on a per patient basis. What anesthesia or analgesics are used will usually vary depending on procedure, patient intolerances and, in some things, patient choice. NSAIDs will probably be contraindicated in surgical type procedures due to anti-platelet effects. Panadol/acetaminophen isn't a true NSAID- so am unsure of it's indication in this regard.

My advice is to talk to your doctor/who ever is taking the biopsy.