google "general relativistic quantum physics"

Martin

This is an idea ready for explosive growth, I would estimate. If you google the phrase now you get 4 hits. My guess is that if you google in a couple of months the number of hits will have more than doubled. Let's see if the prediction is right. What suggested to do this was a post by ed84c on the Quantum Gravity thread.

Here are the google hits you get Thursday 21 October 2004 when you say, including quotes, "general relativistic quantum physics"

=====================

The century of the incomplete revolution: Searching for general ...

... Remarkably, all these diverse approaches have turned out to be related, suggesting an intriguing general picture of general relativistic quantum physics. ...

http://content.aip.org/JMAPAQ/v41/i6/3776_1.html

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums - View Single Post ...

... Also Rovelli on page 268 uses the phrase "a general relativistic quantum

physics" in this insight which I will quote in a moment. ...

week143

... Remarkably, all these diverse approaches have turn out to be related, suggesting

an intriguing general picture of general relativistic quantum physics. ...

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/week143.html

Quantum Gravity

... I have found the journey towards general relativistic quantum physics,

towards quantum spacetime, a fascinating adventure. ...

http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/book.pdf

====================

1. this is the American Institute of Physics periodical

Journal of Mathematical Physics. JMAP published a foresightful article

of rovelli, right around January 2000. this is from the abstract.

2. this is a pointer to page 268 of rovelli's new book "Quantum Gravity" that is scheduled to come out in November this year.

3. this is from the 29 December 1999 blog of physics guru John Baez. He said that for his "millennium" blog he was just going to recommend two articles-----one by Poincaré and one by Rovelli

and he quoted the abstract of the rovelli JMAP article

4. this is from the Preface to rovelli's book

the book can be download at rovelli site

http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/rovelli.html

the catalog page for the book, at the publisher, is

http://titles.cambridge.org/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521837332

==============

IMO it's really what Quantum Gravity is about.

The 1905 special theory of relativity set 20th century physics on a static flat spacetime. It works as an approximation but it is infinitely divisible, unquantized, rigid, and absolute. The 1905 SR space, called Minkowski space, is essentially just a modification of the absolute space of Isaac Newton, with the symmetry group tweaked so it leaves the speed of light invariant.

It's OK but it is fundamentally unphysical. And when 20th century physikers said their quantum field theories were "relativistic" they meant SR. They were built on Minkowski space. Like QED, QFT, Standard Model quantum physics. Their relativity is the 1905 special edition.

But gravity doesnt live in Minkowski space.

the theory of gravity is 1915 general rel. and it uses a space with dynamic geometry. the geometry is the gravitational field. so the fixed static geometry of mink. space doesnt cut the mustard.

So the agenda is clearly to reformulate quantum physics on a more modern version of space-----make it general relativistic.

Amazingly, even though GR has been around since 1915, this has not been done.

Amazingly, if you google "general relativistic quantum physics" you get only 4 hits and they all go back one way or another to Carlo Rovelli.

This idea, this goal, is (IMO) set to become a major force in this century physics. One way to check is to check google every few months or so and see what change. Nobody can know the future---this is just my hunch and you have a way to prove my hunch wrong by a simple google check.

Thanks to ed84c for highlighting the issue and prompting this

==============

the quote from rovelli preface is right at the end of the preface, on page x of the draft you can download free at his website. Quote from preface of Quantum Gravity:

"... I have found the journey towards general relativistic quantum physics, towards quantum spacetime, a fascinating adventure. I hope the reader will see the beauty I see, and that he or she will be capable to complete the journey. The landscape is magic, the trip is far from being over.

Marseille, Toronto, Rome, 2002-2003"