muscle cells, nerve cells

kellbrook

i was reading it says some sensory neurons don't convert external stimuli to action potential, instead it releases neurotransmitters, but what do they mean when they say it converts the stimuli into continuous graded potential? isn't this the same as an action potential?

what are some examples of nonexcitable cells?

do all neurons have voltage gated sodium channels?

does fast sodium channels just another word for voltage gated sodium channels?

i know there are sodium leak channels for inward flow into cell and there voltage gated sodium channels for inward flow into cell, but are there sodium leak channels for outward flow? and are there voltage gated sodium channels for outward flow?

i know there are calcium leak channels for inward flow, and calcium voltage gated channels for inward flow,but are there calcium leak channels for outward flow? and are there calcium voltage gated channels for outward flow?

i know there leak channels for potassium outward flow and potassium voltage agted channels for outward fflow,but are there leak channels for potaasium inward flow? and are there potassium voltage gated channled for outward flow?

• 4 weeks later...

These nerves are actually single cells which have the function of carrying information from one area of the body to another area. Nerve cells have the same basic structure as all the other body.

Chiropractors waukesha wi

Edited by trewu

i was reading it says some sensory neurons don't convert external stimuli to action potential, instead it releases neurotransmitters, but what do they mean when they say it converts the stimuli into continuous graded potential? isn't this the same as an action potential?

It is not quite like that. APs can be approximated as a digital signal, and are modulated by their frequency. Neutrotransmitters, however do not elicit APs (usually) on their own (i.e. looking at the interaction at a single synaptic cleft). Rather, the signals of numerous synapses are integrated and may or may not result in APs. Some of the synapses may (depending on the neurotransmitter and, more importantly, the receptor and the regulatory response of them in the postsynaptic cell) increase the likelihood of an AP, others may decrease it. So in principle it is a little like a signal converter, in which the synaptic response (which is basically concentration based and can therefore be considered analogue) is coded in a digital signal with varying frequencies.