How to speak

Primarygun

sorry i thought you put oxford quick look any way i said that they went to oxford and cambridge so why did you have to say they all went to oxford and cambridge, even though i just said that when i said some went to oxford and some went to cambridge that generaly means all the monty python group

sorry i thought you put oxford quick look any way i said that they went to oxford and cambridge so why did you have to say they all went to oxford and cambridge, even though i just said that when i said some went to oxford and some went to cambridge that generaly means all the monty python group
'Some went to Oxford' and 'some went to Cambridge', does not exclude the possibility that some didn't go to either. Bloodhound was seeking to clarify this ambiguity.

Since this is a thread on improving one's english it seems a reasonable, and important, clarification to make.

Still, we are all agreed - Monty Python, pretty good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are asking someone a question, your voice goes up at the end.

If you are reading English, you pause slightly after a comma (,) You pause more after a period. (.)

Here is a link to Merriam Webster Online. I typed in the word "phonetics" which means how a word is pronounced. If you click on the red microphone, you can hear it spoken. This won't help you with entire sentences, but maybe it will help with individual words.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=phonetics&x=11&y=20