Approach to Occupation

atinymonkey

In the news today, there have been calls for the British troops to come under American control. On the flip side, there have been increased calls for the British to withdraw.

All this lead to the question on whom is best suited to occupation, and which method is the most responsible and effective solution?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3755940.stm

The British forces are following a soft approach, while the Americans are reacting to insurgence with strict use of force. Which is better in the long term? Are the British troops not targeted as much as Americans because of the soft approch, or because the British have a higher reputation in Iraq?

The SAS are known in Iraq, if only for the Iran embassy siege, and consequently conflicts with the British are avoided if a 'softer' target is available. Is it then correct for the Americans to attempt to instill the same level of respect through consistent show of force?

Is it arrogant to think either side has a more effective approach, and we should just continue with any approach until the situation is stable?

600 Black Watch are to be deployed under American control to areas North of their original position to free up US forces. Whilst I think it's always a bit dodgey to move forces any significant distance from their own supply lines, I can understand the need for concerted efforts amongst allied forces. Political perfidy aside (Damn you Hoon!), it's a bit self defeating to have several forces each doing their own thing.

However, I do hope, and believe to be the case, that the Black Watch, whilst being deployed under US control, will remain under UK military policy and rules of engagement. I think there are basic differences in the natures and characters of the two forces (US and UK) that would make it difficult for a units-attached UK force to function as, or in the same character as, the US force to which they have been seconded. I hope the US commanders consider this.

the british keep losing cities in the south. i believe their generals have pretty much told them not to fight too hard and to retreat if anybody could die. it's actually not a bad idea, but it also means that they lose the cities they are occupying

The British have not lost any cities.