recombinant DNA

Ghaz

recombinant DNA consist of a vector and the gene which is needed to be cloned ........after getting access to a cell the vector along with gene multiplies and after cell division we get multiple copies of the recombinant DNA.........can anyone tell me what happens to the vector part of recombinant DNA after the gene cloning process is complete.........as per i know it remains in the progeny......but our purpose is to clone the gene not the vector which is carrying it ........so finally the vector should be removed from the cell but this is not the case ..........why is it so?

Well, recombinant DNA actually refers to DNA that has been altered in any form in vitro, i.e. it does not necessarily refer to a cloning vector or a particular gene (though the insert or the whole molecule can be considered recombinant).

That being said, the fate of the vector depends on the host. If the vector is compatible with it, it will stay in the host and replicate with it. If it is incompatible, it can get lost, (i.e. only the original cell keeps a copy, but none of the daughter cells will have it). Another possibility is that the whole vector gets integrated into the cell via homologous recombination. In that case it becomes part of the chromosome (but can loop out and get lost again, in some instances).

thanks............so you mean that after the gene cloning process is complete the vector may get released from the cell .............right?

Well, recombinant DNA actually refers to DNA that has been altered in any form in vitro, i.e. it does not necessarily refer to a cloning vector or a particular gene (though the insert or the whole molecule can be considered recombinant).

That being said, the fate of the vector depends on the host. If the vector is compatible with it, it will stay in the host and replicate with it. If it is incompatible, it can get lost, (i.e. only the original cell keeps a copy, but none of the daughter cells will have it). Another possibility is that the whole vector gets integrated into the cell via homologous recombination. In that case it becomes part of the chromosome (but can loop out and get lost again, in some instances).