HAM Radio speaker interferance

Leader Bee

So my neighbor has what I assume is HAM radio and a huge ariel outisde his house; I'm assuming HAM, could be Citizens Band but i don't know enough about it to tell the difference.

Anyway I use my computer rather regularly and all i can hear instead of what should be coming out of my speakers is really loud chatter from his signal. Its very annoying and so I was considering wrapping my speakers in aluminium kitchen foil to botch up a kind of faraday cage but i'm skeptial if this would help?

Any ideas? do you need more info?

Regards

A Faraday cage is most certainly the right approach. you might also look into the cable(s) connecting the speaker to the computer.

Such a cable is more likely to act as an aerial, picking up unwanted signal. Consider replacing your speaker cable with EM shielded speaker cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Radio interference can enter your compfuser by the power mains or by the air as waves. Tri a 0.001 microfarad capacitor connected in parallel to each speaker If that does not cure it, the compfuser internal circuitry is picking the interference somewhere. Ask the neighbor to confirm the health of his installation; as cables, connections, grounding, matching, standing waves presence.

• 3 weeks later...

A transmitter is supposed to radiate, this is not the consequence of a defect!

As computer hardware is always very poorly designed, you do have troubles.

This is where improvement must be done.

Yes, shielding. Aluminium foil is a good start. Connect it to the computer's box as shortly as possible.

Capacitors are an other action, probably to be combined with the shield.

A transmitter is supposed to radiate, this is not the consequence of a defect!

As computer hardware is always very poorly designed, you do have troubles.

This is where improvement must be done.

Yes, shielding. Aluminium foil is a good start. Connect it to the computer's box as shortly as possible.

Capacitors are an other action, probably to be combined with the shield.

I understand that the computer tower itself, being made out of metal is already adequately EM shielded by design. The components in the tower wont be transmitting the signal to my speakers so really the cable leading to my speakers themselves is acting like an arial and looks like the weak spot; I still need to get these wrapped up.