New Stonehenge is about Science Theory?

jbor

Sorry, I think I posted in wrong place: Don't know how to delete.. put in "speculations" instead, just in case:

Original post:

Is it possible that Stonehenge is not religious and was about the physics of the heavens?

Playlist: http://www.youtube.c...C6D8494EA2D8249

(all of the playlist takes about 10 minutes but skim through the recaps at the start.. makes it much quicker.)

And quick version here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nPNfpWGLnfM

What do you make of this new theory (published a few days ago as a non-fiction appendix to a novel)

Edited by jbor

Is it possible that Stonehenge is not religious and was about the physics of the heavens?

(all of the playlist takes about 10 minutes but skim through the recaps at the start.. makes it much quicker.)

And quick version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZWEhu1e84

What do you make of this new theory (published a few days ago as a non-fiction appendix to a novel)

Edited by jbor

What does religious mean ? If you define your religion to be the worshipping of the Sun God , which brings light to the earth or/and the worshipping of the Moon God , which lights up the darkness of the night sky then stonehenge could be an aid to tell you when your God / Gods will be around at the right time / times and in the right place / places to be worshipped . Physics therefore is your religion .

Duplicated thread, some moderator will merge the two I suppose. Oops already done.

What I see is that people like to enhance their past culture in order to show that they were the first to do this and that. This is not a hidden agenda, it is an open agenda. Similar to this one about Carahunge (Zorats Karer) in Armenia. which ends with:

(...) confirms that Armenia was the first civilization on Earth, propagated knowledge and kindness everywhere and was the cradle of Indo-Europeans and Indo- European languages.

The english people would like to make such a statement too, I presume.

----------------------------

On the theory:

Why build a complete circle?

Edited by michel123456

All that the idea involves is moving the sun from one place to another. It's like saying "Do people watch TV in the mirror?" Nothing changes, apart from the direction.

Thanks. In laymans's language, what is the simplest argument to refute the coincidences that are shown?

----------------------------

On the theory:

Why build a complete circle?

There's no apparent evidence that it ever was built as a complete a circle: The section to the South West (at the back of the Great Trilithon) is generally assumed to have existed. It is a good logical assumption though:

http://en.wikipedia....:Stone_Plan.jpg

Edited by jbor

I do not imagine that religion and science were well divided when Stonehenge was build. We know based on other old civilisations that their astronomy developed to meet the needs of their astrology and religion.

This is Newgrange . It is 5000 years old with some modifications to keep

it alive as an entity . It is aligned with the midwinter sunrise . When the

sun rises on midwinters day in the southeast it sends sunlight through

the opening you can see at the lower part of the photo where the light

shines down a passageway and onto a stone at the end of it .

Is Stonehenge missing it's mound of muck ?

If it was related to the trajectory of the sun in the sky, it should be oriented on a north-south axis.

True; The optimum must be North-South. Is it reasonable to say that, because north-south is a better technical arrangement, another version would not, logically, have been built?

Michel , Here is an image of Knowth , It has 18 smaller mounds surrounding it .

I think that what you have circled is possibly an excavation of a smaller mound

at Newgrange . The big mounds are huge , over 100m in diameter .

If Stonehenge is an inner frame for a mound or building it has had stones and

earth stripped away from it over the millenia .

As for the YouTube machine , the past is full of weird and wonderful machines

that have appeared and disappeared and long been forgotten . Did this person

make his machine to specifically fit Stonehenge ?

Did this person make his machine to specifically fit Stonehenge ?

No, that's not the background (see links if of interest). If the people of Stonehenge published it first, then he couldn't patent the rest of the follow-on inventions in the USA (it's already patented); So the videos being trashed (for not being connected to Stonehenge) may not be something that he's too worried about.

Edited by jbor

What i see is a different orientation in each construction. I don't see room for an astronomical interpretation.

Besides the building is impressive as it is, there is evidence for intelligence and skills. No need for extravagance IMHO.

----------------

Now, about skills:

_the circle is the most simplest geometric form. A goat tied on a post describes a circle.

_to create a mass of earth is the way a boy makes a sand castle on a beach. There is no need for technological knowledge. Slaves could do that, as they did building the Great Wall of China.

_you need technological skills to build the chambers beneath the mound, and in order to design the whole structure.

_you need technological skills to transport huge stones.

_if you use the stones as-is, you haven't enough technological skills.

_you need a society that produces enough wealth in order to feed all those workers, slaves or not.

_this society is pushed by some cultural need in order to build these monuments. Religion.

_there is an overwhelming evidence for the need of monumentalism: that is to create a huge structure that serves absolutely no vital purpose. Something you encounter throughout the whole history of humanity.

So there is something behind these monuments.

Edited by michel123456

Sorry, I think I posted in wrong place: Don't know how to delete.. put in "speculations" instead, just in case:

Original post:

And quick version here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nPNfpWGLnfM

It does not seem unlikely that stonehenge involved astronomical observations/ alignments. This same claim has been made concerning many ancient archaeological structures and the alignment of structures around the world. This of course does not preclude the idea that religion was the primary reason for building the structures and their orientation.

Edited by pantheory

It does not seem unlikely that stonehenge involved astronomical observations/ alignments. This same claim has been made concerning many ancient archaeological structures and the alignment of structures around the world. This of course does not preclude the idea that religion was the primary reason for building the structures and their orientation.

Agreed. My apologies, I may have misinterpreted the theory in my original post: The idea of religion v science isn't actually mentioned in the video or on the archaeological referral site showing the detail.

Any thoughts on what test would be used to show that the theory doesn't hold water?

This is a way of looking at things . I hope I'm following the general theme and it's branches of what is being discussed . If you look at your watch on the way to mass it serves a religious purpose and if you look at your watch to cook a pizza with a gas oven it serves a scientific purpose . The lines between religion and science are blurred . I think a lot of these places have multiple uses , because they are so old , one of which is quite simply a clock .

jbor,

Any thoughts on what test would be used to show that the theory doesn't hold water?

The point I was trying to make was that the theory that Stonehenge was constructed for astronomical purposes sounds like a good one to me. But to pay for such monuments, religion most always came first concerning recorded history. Maybe a type of astronomical, observational structure to tell what the best timing would be to sacrifice virgins (or cheating harem members) to the gods, for instance -- or some religious reason(s) less dramatic :)

Edited by pantheory

Stonehenge is aligned to the summer solstice sunrise ( probably amongst many other objects of the heavens ) . Is it designed to be in alignment ? or does it just do this because of the same type of chance of a matchstick having been designed to be used to pick your dinner from between your teeth ?

In secular architecture there are a lot of elements that influence a building's orientation: the slope, the access, the roads, the other buildings, the views, the sun, etc.

In religious architecture orientation is very often a matter of rule: a christian church is always oriented on a West-East axis,a mosque is oriented on Mekka. In christian cemeteries the head of the grave is oriented West.

But if it was the case for these ancient monuments, all buildings of the same nature should have the same orientation.

Edited by michel123456

For Christianity , though I don't know if the Christian churches actually use such a pagan way of thinking , there is a way to know when Easter is , it is on the first Sunday after the first full moon after equinox . Equinox is the solar occurence , which makes me see the sun worshippers having their festival first . Then , full moon is the lunar occurence , which has me seeing the moon worshippers having their festival next . Then , Christianity is third in line after the two ' religions ' of the older status quo .

Edited by Hal.