Blood alcohol toxicity

Wikipedia isn't overly informative I know someone who was taken to hospital with severe chest pains they did a blood test and his level was 55. Forty is supposed to be toxic, as in stopped heart, So how could he hold so much booze I was with him he was coherrent like he'd only had a few drinks, Definitely an alcohol abuser but why if 40 is toxic isn't he dead?

If you drink a lot of alcohol every day, you can build up a tolerance, and survive more. I'm not sure what the mechanism is behind it... but there are multiple news reports of people who had so much alcohol in their blood, that they should be dead twice.

Please note: drinking that much might mean you can survive a lot of alcohol, and that sounds cool... but it will also destroy your brain.

If you drink a lot of alcohol every day, you can build up a tolerance

Yeah, the human body compensates for the alcohol, which is why some alcoholics can can develop a "physical dependence" on it. Going cold turkey off alcohol isn't merely screaming, shaking, and hallucinations of pink snakes. Going cold turkey off heroin feels like you're dying (think a thousand times worse than having the flu really bad), but you won't die. However, going cold turkey off alcohol can kill you.