Have right BMI index but has big belly

amby

Hello Experts,

I am 38 years old man with 68 Kilo, 169 cm height. As per BMI index calculator in internet, my BMI index and weight is correct for my height. However, even though, I am not overweight, I have considerable belly and almost flat butt. This is becoming a topic of my social frustration.

Needless to say, when I do bit more workout, I reduce my weight and then start leg aching, back aching and other problems. I am occasional beer drinker and do not overeat.

I am working in software, hence sit for long hours at one place. This might be reason for belly.

I occasionally swim and cycle. However, in some minutes, I get breathless or near to feeling of fainting. My friend say, as I don't have enough energy/fat to consume, my stamina goes down quickly. Out of these workout, I like swimming as it does not make me too much breathless and hopefully gives overall exercise.

My question is -

1. If I am getting belly, which is a fat, why is it only accumulating on belly?

2. If I workout, why my belly fat does not reduce.

3. Running brings keens and leg ache. I also read here in blogs that, sit ups (or any workout on single area does not work). So, what is the best workout for reducing my tummy when there is no fat anywhere else?

4. Is the fat accumulation on tummy due to aging effect?

5. How often should I do to see a result in optimum amount of time without damaging keens or bones.

6. What should I avoid in eating?

Thanks in advance.

Amby

Belly isn't necessarily strictly fat. Sometimes bloating is a sign of too much sodium (water retention) or, alternatively, it can be muscles that are not quite shaped right. Many people have that problem, it's not as easy to solve as it sounds. It *is* solvable, though, you just need to make sure you do exercises that are directed towards that location and eat right.

It seems to be easier to have that as you grow old, but you're not 80. You can work on this ;)

Also, working out in general is a good idea, but if you have a particular zone you want to work on, you need to concentrate on it. That is, cycling and swimming are generally good for legs and hand muscles; if you want to work out your belly muscles, you need to do exercise routines that are directed to that area.

I suggest you either check online or talk to a proper gym instructor; a lot of the gyms offer "first time trainer sessions" for free, and you can tell the trainer you want to work on your belly in particular, and they will give you exercises that are aimed at that.

As for getting tired, I would recommend you check that with your doctor. There can be many reasons for it from pushing yourself too hard for your own stamina to health problems like high blood pressure or some hormone imbalance. There's no harm in checking to be sure.

Lastly, this SOUNDS to me like it could be a diet issue. As in, your eating habits should be changed. It doesn't necessarily mean you eat junk, but it may mean you're not eating balanced enough for your own metabolism.

Some places also recommend eating more fiber particularly for belly fat in men. There are also a bunch of exercises you can do for upper body training that will assist in shaping the muscles specifically.

But honestly, I'd recommend taking a session with a trainer and visiting your doctor. Check first to see if you should change your diet or fix something physics. Then get advice from a professional trainer on what to do particularly for the stomach. Losing weight isn't the only thing, and sometimes it doesn't help the "shape" - to change the shape you need to do particular exercises, and there are mixed ones for men and women depending on what, in general, they want to work on.

Good luck :)

~mooey

Men just get bellies. It is the natural place to store fat.

And the BMI is not a perfect index. Some people are just a little skinnier, and some people are naturally 'big boned'. So, while on the BMI you might be perfect, it's completely possible to have a bit of a belly.

As commented above, beer-drinking causes fat deposits around the lower abdomen. Also, hormone problems can cause this to develop as well. An unlikely alternative in the developed world is extreme malnutrition, which can caused the distended abdomen seen in starving people in the Third World.

Go have someone check your body values, to see if there's something wrong with your diet. I think that would be a good start. Even though you don't eat excessively, you might eat the wrong things.

Others have suggested beer gut, but I'm not as sure since you said you only drink occassionally. So the question is; how often is that? Be honest with us, and yourself. ;)

Others have suggested beer gut, but I'm not as sure since you said you only drink occasionally. So the question is; how often is that? Be honest with us, and yourself. ;)

Of course very honestly, I drink around 2-3 glasses (1 glass is approx 0.5 liter here) per week. Sometimes less than that. Drinking mostly comes in summer and on weekend.

In winter, a glass of red wine replaces Beer with similar quantity.

As commented above, beer-drinking causes fat deposits around the lower abdomen. Also, hormone problems can cause this to develop as well. An unlikely alternative in the developed world is extreme malnutrition, which can caused the distended abdomen seen in starving people in the Third World.

Last year, I was very stressed due to work and also went to doctor who recommended hormone replacement therapy. Have taken one round and now results are fine according to doctor. Can stress cause accumulation of fat on belly.

I completely agree with you on state of health in developed world countries. Sometimes, I also feel we all get too much to eat than hungry people in Third world countries, that brings more worries about reducing excess fat from body :unsure:

Edited by amby