Inert gases

Biks

Since the nuclear charge is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus, and inert gases most definitely have protons in their nuclei, then the answer is a definitive yes. What they also have is perfectly filled outer electron shells, which makes them disinclined to chemical reaction. Didn't we start calling them Noble Gases about five decades ago since they are not fully inert?

Since the nuclear charge is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus, and inert gases most definitely have protons in their nuclei, then the answer is a definitive yes. What they also have is perfectly filled outer electron shells, which makes them disinclined to chemical reaction. Didn't we start calling them Noble Gases about five decades ago since they are not fully inert?

We've made stable compounds of most of the noble gases, but helium and neon have only produced short lived cationic species like [ce]HeH^{+}[/ce] as far as I know. There's just no appreciable effective nuclear charge on the outer shell and the average radius is not sufficient enough to allow for enough polarization to get some of "Van der Waals-ish" complexes you can get with the heavier noble gases.

That and for helium you usually get a scenario where any bond that forms will have a quite highly occupied anti-bonding orbital which is no good.

We've made stable compounds of most of the noble gases, but helium and neon have only produced short lived cationic species like [ce]HeH^{+}[/ce] as far as I know. There's just no appreciable effective nuclear charge on the outer shell and the average radius is not sufficient enough to allow for enough polarization to get some of "Van der Waals-ish" complexes you can get with the heavier noble gases.

That and for helium you usually get a scenario where any bond that forms will have a quite highly occupied anti-bonding orbital which is no good.

"Van de Waals-ish" compounds, also known as hypervalent compounds. In fact, I would posture that the discovery of XeF2 early last century was the key compound leading to the definition and quantum mechanical description of such, but that's somewhat off-topic.

In fact, I would posture that the discovery of XeF2 early last century was the key compound leading to the definition and quantum mechanical description of such, but that's somewhat off-topic.

I don't believe it was early last century. I can recall our chemistry teacher at secondary school telling the class that a compound had been formed with an inert gas. Checking on wikipedia I see a date of 1962, which is consistent with my recollection.

1962 may be early last century to you, but its yesterday afternoon to me.

Edited to delete double, combined post.

Edited by Ophiolite

I don't believe it was early last century. I can recall our chemistry teacher at secondary school telling the class that a compound had been formed with an inert gas. Checking on wikipedia I see a date of 1962, which is consistent with my recollection.

1962 may be early last century to you, but its yesterday afternoon to me.

Edited to delete double, combined post.

My mistake. I had meant to write mid-last century. I guess that's what happens when I try posting on threads before the morning coffee.