barium nitrate, best way to burn?

jsatan

I few weeks back I order some barium nitrate off ebay.

I was wondering the best way to make it burn nice and green?

I had a quick try with plain sugar mix, but no luck.

I'll take some pictures etc to show you the results..

you`ll need to mix it with another more "sensitive" nitrate KNO3 for instance, that will lower the activation energy for the reaction. Barium Nitrate on it`s own is quite un-impressive, and using sugar as the reducer is just plain daft :)

Charcoal and sulpher with a little dextrin is all you`ll need :)

"sugar when broken down by heat gives of water"

Because sugars have a ratio of 2:1 of H and O, if someone didn't know. :P Pouring H2SO4 on sugar is a great way to demonstrate this. By the way, is the substance always a sugar if it has a 2:1 ratio of hydrogen and oxygen and some carbon?

Sucrose: (table sugar) C12H22O11 when broken down is 12 parts carbon and 10 parts Water.

Fructose: C6H12O6

Glucose: same as above

Maltose: same as Sucrose

Lactose: sams as Sucrose

I can`t think of anymore, it does seem to follow a trend though :)

Yeah I know what you mean, you get the same sugar but have a beta and gamma type, which come together and blah blah you have water and a long chain of sugars, amalyse or something spelt like that, I studied them a few years back, loll

Edit: amylose, lol. (my poor head)

Yeah it is, in my lacking of knowledge I knew that sugar and kno3 works so I just out of interest tried it again.

But this is the way you learn. :)

Also as I dont have any sulphur (shame on me) can I just use iron oxide in it's place?

Ps thanks YT for that link, brings back somethings I forgot about, :)

I'm always amazed at how if you take a few -OH groups on sugar and replace them with a Cl atom, you get 'Splenda' which is an artificial sweetner. It's also something that a diabetic can safely ingest without causing problems, unlike the unsubstituted sugar.

it IS actualy quite fantastic the amount of "sugar" or carbohydrate molecules that can be made with such a simple formula, I`de be more than certain that not ALL of them are even known yet, as the possibilities and combinations seems virtualy endless!

due to this, post`s #14 and 15 were writen, Organic chem.... Naaah :))