How much of an impact will the LP have?

Mad Mardigan

I think Mad Mardigan was referring to the Libertarian Party.

However, it could also apply to the Labour Party, the question being for some reason whether its votes might detract from the three or four other parties with significant support. His location ("The South"), might mean London or thereabouts. I know that's not true, but a newcomer might.

Anyway, I don't think there would be much of a difference, since voters who vote for the Libertarian party are clearly voting for the party that represents them the best, rather than one of the two options with a chance of success. In that case, if they weren't able to vote for the Libertarian party they might not vote at all.

When you are using an acronym it's common practice to display the first instance in its expanded form' date=' so that people know what you are talking about.

:P[/quote']

Sayonara, I'm glad you mentioned that, there are numerous times when I didn't know an acronym. The common usage for "LP" around here is "liquid propane".

Furthermore, I've noticed that people use the "quick reply" without referring to whom they're replying too..........annoying, especially if the reference post is 6 posts back.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

is very good for this purpose.... indeed LP comes up with 92 results whenever i search something on that site, it always comes up with loads of different things, from there you have to use common sense!

(on that site dont bother with the 'go' button, useless links to amazon - try it, you'll see what i mean.)

at the same time it is very advised to write what the abbreviation stands for so that others who dont know, cant find it or dont know about this website know... so please DO write what the acronym means.

I had guessed it wasn't "Long Play" but I didn't think much of my chances with Google.

I googled LP....I found...

Latin percussion

libertarian party

Louisiana Pacific

lonely planet

lincoln park

launchers and precision

No 'long play", at least on page 1

I didn't know what he meant either. And I think I'm pretty well informed. :)

My answer to the question of the subject of this thread is: "None".

My answer to the body of the first post of this thread is: "No".

I'll tell you guys a funny story about perceptions of the libertarian party. A few months ago I took a prominent Desk Editor of a major international news organziation to task via email for a story they wrote in which they quoted a source at the Cato Institute, which of course is the famous libertarian think-tank.

The issue I was expressing my disappointment about isn't material at the moment, but what startled me was the reply, which suggested that since Cato was libertarian, they were therefore "more to the right than the left of the political spectrum".

Something tells me the folks at Cato would not be amused to learn they're closet conservatives. (chuckle)

(I have these little run-ins with higher-ups in the media all the time, by the way. You'd be amazed at some of the names in my collection -- but *ANYBODY* can do this. They really don't get as much email as you might think, and if you email them they're actually quite likely to read it and maybe even respond. My only advice is that you be respectful and not emotional or extreme in your approach, or you might be a little embarassed when they respond and point out where you made your mistake. As you might imagine, this has happened to me. More than once. And that's all I'm sayin'.) :)

The issue I was expressing my disappointment about isn't material at the moment, but what startled me was the reply, which suggested that since Cato was libertarian, they were therefore "more to the right than the left of the political spectrum".

Something tells me the folks at Cato would not be amused to learn they're closet conservatives. (chuckle)

Well libertarians are generally considered to be "conservative" or "right-leaning" on fiscal/economic issues, so if this article was talking about fiscal or economic policy, it wouldn't be off the mark to say Cato leans right.

If the article was talking about, say, gay marriage, then yes, it makes no sense to refer to Cato as right-leaning with regard to that issue.

I googled LP....I found...

No 'long play"' date=' at least on page 1[/quote']

Long Play, as in an LP album. It's what we had before CD's and tapes. The common term is now 'vinyl', but us older guys still call them LP's. The term LP was widespread when refering to albums for over two decades, hence the confusion. It's like posting a thread about 'how much if an impact will the CD have' and actually meaning the Conservative Democrats.

Hope that makes sense.

Long Play' date=' as in an LP album. It's what we had before CD's and tapes. The common term is now 'vinyl', but us older guys still call them LP's. The term LP was widespread when refering to albums for over two decades, hence the confusion. It's like posting a thread about [i']'how much if an impact will the CD have'[/i] and actually meaning the Conservative Democrats.

Hope that makes sense.

atinymonkey Good one. Yup, I know the old LP's, actually I go back beyond the 45s........maybe to the 78s