Trees Growing Near Rivers

Hello fellow 'forumites' of Science Forums!

I've encountered a little biology question which I've failed to obtain information from Google so please kindly enlighten me.

So... the thing is that I would like to know the relationship between a water body (rivers, lakes, reservoirs etc) and the trees growing near it. I've captured an image, primarily for the assignment I'm working on, but I can show a similar one which I've found using Google Image.

capon04%20%205152.jpg

Source: http://www.a2jlp.co..../capontree.html

I suppose that the vegetation around the lake depend on the lake for water and there is actually an ecological cycle involved which I am still seeking an explanation for.

EDIT: The main thing I'm trying to find out is how the trees growing near the water body depend on the water for survival. Does the water that the trees receive come primarily from the water body such that it allows the trees to survie? Or it just happens to grow near the water body and helps to prevent erosion/intercept rainwater?

I think there're existing sites which can serve as references for my assignment but I can't seem to find any and your knowledge is definitely much needed here. It would be fun to engage in a discussion here :D

Hope to see replies soon.

Thank you =)

Edited by Luminance

I am not sure what you'd like to discuss, so I'll just give some pointers.

1. Shape of the trees. Because the trees at the side of rivers/lakes have no neighboring trees on one side, they often have branches growing near the ground. This is a direct effect of not having to compete for light.

2. Water. Obviously, the river/lake can provide water to any plant. However, the water can also erode the shore and wash away any nutrients. It can even erode the shore to such an extent that the tree falls into the water.

But because this is such a broad topic (photosynthesis and growth of trees, water, root growth, nutrients, erosion), I think it would be useful if you make the thread more specific.

Hello CaptainPanic. Thank you for the comments! I'll elaborate more on my initial post. And with regards to the issue of erosion, wouldn't the vegetation near the shore protect it from being eroded? I mean I've learned in geography classes where vegetation anchor the soil firmly such that it prevents river banks from erosion. Moreover, the energy of the river flow shouldn't be really strong in a stream/lake/river if I remember correctly. However, the main point of the question is actually to know how the trees depend on the river for survival.

Thank you for your reply. =)

Most trees that grow near rivers have there life cycle based on rivers..willows and alder are very common..when you visit the river next..you will see on alders..small dots on the bark. These are used to breathe as the roots cannot..willows which are a terrible weed in riverine systems and most aquatic systems drain water from river systems and are a major weed in Australia and other water deficit countries. There is a major program on eradication on water weed trees in Texas..but there is a kickback as some birds nest in them. The riverine system is very interesting but very fragile.

J

I am not sure if i understand the question.

A river is not only the water you see between the banks. A river flows also underground beneath the banks, and extends very far away horizontaly, many times the apparent width of the river, and verticaly under the river. The underground water flows simply more slowly. The river is only the overflow: the upper part of the iceberg.

Trees near the river have their roots in the river.

Where I live we actually have trees that grow out in the water, the roots and up to several feet of the trunk permanently submerged, examples would be bald cypress, and water tupelo, a great many other trees only grow in soil that is periodically flooded or grow better than other trees under such conditions. here is a link that may have some of the information you are looking for.

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/nwep7i.htm

http://forestandrange.org/new_wetlands/wetland_plants.htm