is the number 1 flawed?

npbreakthrough

we use mathematics to probe the limits of our universe,

its a philosophical issue that because we can accurately describe our material universe with mathematics , a mathematical basis for our universe is implied,

but what if that is not accurate, and instead our failure to completely understand our universe, even our ability to ever fully understand our universe is because mathematics is too rigid

perhaps the abstract ideas of mathematics invented by man fail because

our universe is more analog then digital (i know analog and digital deal with something else, but its the best analogy i could think of at the moment, digital being mathematics)

we use mathematics to probe the limits of our universe,

its a philosophical issue that because we can accurately describe our material universe with mathematics , a mathematical basis for our universe is implied,

but what if that is not accurate, and instead our failure to completely understand our universe, even our ability to ever fully understand our universe is because mathematics is too rigid

perhaps the abstract ideas of mathematics invented by man fail because

our universe is more analog then digital (i know analog and digital deal with something else, but its the best analogy i could think of at the moment, digital being mathematics)

Mathematics is not rigid.

Mathematics is the study of order, any order that the human mind can recognize.

When mathematics is not adequate for the study of some orderly phenomena, we invent and develop new mathematics. Even apparent disorder can be studied, as with the theory of probability and chaotic topological dynamics.

When mathematics is not adequate for the study of some orderly phenomena, we invent and develop new mathematics.

Absolutely right, our history is full of such examples of physics motivating new mathematical discoveries. Newton and calculus is of course the classical example given.

Please explain the title. Why number 1 flawed?

I second that.

Absolutely right, our history is full of such examples of physics motivating new mathematical discoveries. Newton and calculus is of course the classical example given.

And Ed Witten (amongst many others) shows that this process is still on-going

And Ed Witten (amongst many others) shows that this process is still on-going

Edward Witten has an amazing ability to see the "physics in mathematics" which has lead to exiting novel approaches to many mathematical questions, most notably in geometry and topology. Things like the Gromov-Witten invariant in symplectic field theory spring to mind which have their origin in string theory. Witten's biggest contribution is being able to relate ideas in string theory to mathematical questions to the benefit of both physics and mathematics.

I don't know about 1 being flawed, but it certainly is peculiar in that 1^n=1 and 1^(1/n)=1. Thus the number 1 might in fact represent a square, a cube, square root or a cube root. I have an interest in Fermat's last Theorem and this fact has always given me something of a problem.

I don't know about 1 being flawed, but it certainly is peculiar in that 1^n=1 and 1^(1/n)=1. Thus the number 1 might in fact represent a square, a cube, square root or a cube root. I have an interest in Fermat's last Theorem and this fact has always given me something of a problem.

If you insert units all mysteries vanish.

For example in 1^n=1, If the 1 on the left represents Meters, the 1 on the right will represent Meters^n: for n=2, that is square meter. The 1 on the left is not the same as the 1 on the right.

Edited by michel123456

In my personal opinion the current number 1 is deeply flawed

http://www.bbc.co.uk...1/chart/singles

But the REAL no. 1 is the greatest and without flaw -- just ask him.

Witten's biggest contribution is being able to relate ideas in string theory to mathematical questions to the benefit of both physics and mathematics.

Yes, thanks to Witten, string theory has become a terrific conjecture machine, particularly for algebraic geometers. That is of sufficient value to merit a Fields Medal.

Someday somebody may even be able to define what string theory is.

alright,

thanks for everyone's replies,

as for the title "is the number 1 flawed"

i am not necessarily picking on just this number,

i guess what i was trying to get at was

how inadequate can numbers be when subjected to certain theoretical math

but my questions were answered,

with units and formulas, the strictness of a single digit can be more malleable and useful

and with our ability to create new fields of mathematics we are constantly able to reform our current views

thanks to everyone,

replying to my posts

especially

drrocket

michel123456

soon i will have my 30 posts

and ill be able to move onto the religion and philosophy threads

where i am much better suited

This is also true for 0, although the curve is discontinuous for 0^(0/n) at n=0