Starting Mathematics on my own! :)

kidvisions

Hello everyone, I am new here

So, having received an exclusively literary education I am particularly ignorant in mathematics and in science in general, but I would like to educate myself.

The problem is that I don't know how to start. Can anyone suggest some websites, or books I can start with to learn mathematics?

Hello everyone, I am new here

So, having received an exclusively literary education I am particularly ignorant in mathematics and in science in general, but I would like to educate myself.

The problem is that I don't know how to start. Can anyone suggest some websites, or books I can start with to learn mathematics?

This is impossible to answer intelligently without knowing what you know.

I would suggest a college algebra or remedial mathematics class at a local community college.

Edited by DrRocket

This is impossible to answer intelligently without knowing what you know.

I would suggest a college algebra or remedial mathematics class at a local community college.

Actually, I don't know much, I want to start from the beginning!

Actually, I don't know much, I want to start from the beginning!

from your word, I assume u know arithmetic, so, i prefer u to start from pre-algebra, becoz arithmetic is for 6y.o. or so, which rare to see with such good vocab :lol:

from your word, I assume u know arithmetic, so, i prefer u to start from pre-algebra, becoz arithmetic is for 6y.o. or so, which rare to see with such good vocab :lol:

Well, what I am seeking is to develop my mental abilities, and learn to think with and in mathematics. I feel such an ignorant when I am not able to understand maths! So, I will start with pre-algebra! There is yet one problem: do I have to memorise the multiplication table?? :s

Well, what I am seeking is to develop my mental abilities, and learn to think with and in mathematics. I feel such an ignorant when I am not able to understand maths! So, I will start with pre-algebra! There is yet one problem: do I have to memorise the multiplication table?? :s

Most kids know the multiplication tables by the third grade. If you can't do elementary arithmetic with great facility you will be so distracted by the arithmetic trivia that algebra will be a total mystery. It is very common for remedial mathematics students to have trouble with fractional exponents, not because of difficulty with the concept of an exponent, but rather because they can't add fractions.

In your position self-study will be extremely difficult. Take a class.

ok, I'm sorry, but I have to ask.

What kind of education did you receive where you were not even taught basic arithmetic? That is borderline criminal.

I am from Tunisia. The problem here is that we specialize too early in an area of study and then forget about all the rest. It has been more than 6 years since I have studied or used maths. Taking a class is not even an option. It is partly my fault but I was young and loved literature. I specialized in literary studies since the age of 15. Now I am 22 and forgot all about math even the multiplication table!! But I really really want to learn!!

I am from Tunisia. The problem here is that we specialize too early in an area of study and then forget about all the rest. It has been more than 6 years since I have studied or used maths. Taking a class is not even an option. It is partly my fault but I was young and loved literature. I specialized in literary studies since the age of 15. Now I am 22 and forgot all about math even the multiplication table!! But I really really want to learn!!

As imafaal has already pointed to I would start here:

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/multiplication-2--the-multiplication-tables?playlist=Arithmetic'>http://www.khanacademy.org/video/multiplication-2--the-multiplication-tables?playlist=Arithmetic

The main list is here:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Honestly, if I were you, I would look into taking a basic course. Looking back on when I taught myself some more advanced topics throughout school, I found that I wouldn't spend enough time truly understanding certain aspects and had a tendency to move too quickly through a syllabus. Having a course gives you a set structure to work with, and allows you enough time to absorb and understand the material.

Anyway, good luck in any case!