Scientific Job Talk Advice

ajb

I have been asked to give a short (20 mins) talk on some aspect of my reserach as part of a post-doc interview process.

I have found it difficult to condense what I want to say into 20 mins.

My basic rules I have tried to live by here are:

1. Try to explain why the problem is interesting.
  2. Overview not details; avoiding too much background and give lots of "gut-feeling".
  3. Point towards impact and possible applications.
  4. Try to link it with the work already carried out at the institution; even if this is more "ethos" than concrete links.

The audience are not going to be experts in my field, yet I do not have the time to explain much in details including some background material. Details will have to be sacrificed for clarity and accessibility given the time restraints.

Any further "mantras" you think could be helpful? Anything you want to share about job talks you have given?

Edited by ajb

Don't know much about job talks. You are further along in your career than me. But I have noticed that good science speakers tend to repeat important points in various ways throughout the talk. This makes sense especially if your audience is full of non-experts. I would say introduce your main point of interest, be sure to mention it again in the middle, and then drive it home hard at the end. That way the audience doesn't get the: "Hey that's great but what is it you were talking about again?"-syndrome.

Good luck! From what I know of you, you seem passionate about your work and I'm sure that will come across to the audience and work in your favor.

I have been asked to give a short (20 mins) talk on some aspect of my reserach as part of a post-doc interview process.

I have found it difficult to condense what I want to say into 20 mins.

My basic rules I have tried to live by here are:

1. Try to explain why the problem is interesting.
  2. Overview not details; avoiding too much background and give lots of "gut-feeling".
  3. Point towards impact and possible applications.
  4. Try to link it with the work already carried out at the institution; even if this is more "ethos" than concrete links.

The audience are not going to be experts in my field, yet I do not have the time to explain much in details including some background material. Details will have to be sacrificed for clarity and accessibility given the time restraints.

Any further "mantras" you think could be helpful? Anything you want to share about job talks you have given?

That sounds like the right approach in geberal.

A lot depends on the character of the post doc. If you will be working in someone's research group, then they will be looking for someone who "fits in" and whose expertise adds to and complements the group. If you will be on your own to pursue your own individual research then they will be looking for technical prowess and someone who adds to the department and can handle whatever instructional duties come with the position. Letters of recommendation from known entities will count for a lot.

What DrRocket said. 10-30 mins are basically the rule for these kind of talks, so it is important to know what is best to present for the given audience, instead of showing off everything you did. The way you intend to do it (focus on impact) is a good way to go, especially when hard data is added.

Note that in most institutions the PI is hiring you personally, so it is most important to make yourself attractive to him/her.

Other than that you may want to try to figure out what your job is going to be. For instance, are you working on an existing project or are you supposed to bring new lines of investigation to the group (postdocs are usually not truly independent, just expected to be able to get stuff done with little or no supervision)? Depending on this you have either to emphasize why your stuff is important and why one should investigate it more or demonstrate that what you did makes you a good candidate to work on that particular project.

That being said, if you are already invited and are a nice guy, chances are very high of getting the position. More often than not it depends on whether you want it or not.

Edited by CharonY

Thank you all for the advice.

The position is to join an on going project. So the group will expect me too some extent to "do as I am told" and work on specific parts of the project. They have also expressed the need to be independent and able to chase ones own research goals within the overall context of the project.

I need to show that I have been independent (no problem there) and that I want to form collaborations working on the project at hand.

Cheers all.