RAM problems (on behalf of aM)

aM... a new member (to aM: the reason you cant start a thread is probably because you have not accepted and done the stuff on the confimation email)... anyway, aM recently PMed me about a problem with his RAM, im not 100% sure what he meant, so i'll start this thread allowing us to 'talk'...

here is the significant part of the PM:

The problem i have is that my computer uses 700mb of ram(using xp) when i do nothing' date=' and only 480 of them is shown on the task manager.

Do you know what i can do to reduce the ammount of ram usage?[/quote']

are you saying that you have 700MB inside your computer as hardware, like the actual chips inside your computer... but task manager only shows 480MB?

if so, where does it say 480MB?

in windows task manager > performance tab

PF useage: only shows whats being used, not all your power

Physical memory: total: shows ALL RAM.... if this is where is shows only 480MB then the rest of your ram is not properly installed... (if this is the case i will explain further)

physical memory: available: represents the amount of free memory that is available for use. (for me currently 1/2 my total physical RAM)

physical memory: system cache: shows the current physical memory used to map pages of open files. (just over 1/2 my total physical RAM)

i doub that this is a problem of spyware cloggin up his RAM.

at the same time those kinda programs are essential to a good quality [at working speed] computers, also a firewall and anti-virus programs are ESSENTIAL, and not just a router firewall, a proper software firewall, the amount of people who hack others is very high, mainly amateur hackers easily hacking others because there is a lack of firewalls. GET A FIREWALL... ANTI-VIRUS & anti-spyware programS... more than one is better.

this is a link! post #23 and #24 are the applicable ones

i've worked with keyloggers across my network, for fun! he he!... but they really dont take up any memory, i was using it on a computer with 192MB RAM, and i couldnt notic the difference at all.

this is a similar trend with most spyware, as resource hoggers would catch the attention of the owner's.

i think that question of the first post still stands... we really dont quite no where this 'missing RAM' is.

maybe it was just a mistake and s/he was looking at available, which isnt total, or maybe its not properlly installed and consequently aint active.... (we'll see when aM replies).

sayo goes straight to the solution, indeed, if the problem is that the RAM is not active in that it is in the computer but not in use as it is not set-up, then what he said is the most likely reason for that.

go into your BIOS and see how much RAM it says you have, the BIOS is always right, it will say what is running.

also i highly doubt you have 700MB or RAM, as RAM goes up in a pattern of the last digit multiplied by 2, starting at one, so there's:

1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc etc

MBs of RAM, whilsts you could have a very odd mixture, it is unlikely you have exactly 700MB.

just somer more info to you: I have 2 sticks both of them is the same speed and is on 512mb each, my taskmanager shows that the computer ram usage is 7xxmb, but when i calculate all the memory usage the prosseses(those shown on task manager) uses i only get 4xxmb, so i what i dont get is: How can my computer use 7xxmb ram when it is idle and how come my prosseses only take 4xxmb of it.

I have used 3 AV progs(nod32, norton2004 pro and avast) I have a bitprotection prog(zonealarm) and i have used both adaware and spy bot.

Does any one here know how to reduce the ram usage?

aM

just somer more info to you: I have 2 sticks both of them is the same speed and is on 512mb each, my taskmanager shows that the computer ram usage is 7xxmb, but when i calculate all the memory usage the prosseses(those shown on task manager) uses i only get 4xxmb, so i what i dont get is: How can my computer use 7xxmb ram when it is idle and how come my prosseses only take 4xxmb of it.

Probably the OS itself.

I have used 3 AV progs(nod32, norton2004 pro and avast) I have a bitprotection prog(zonealarm) and i have used both adaware and spy bot.

Does any one here know how to reduce the ram usage?

aM

Having that many AV progs, zone alarm, adaware, and spybot running would really take a toll on performance.

my taskmanager shows that the computer ram usage is 7xxmb,

where does it say this?? under which section? [see post #1]

but when i calculate all the memory usage the prosseses(those shown on task manager) uses i only get 4xxmb, so i what i dont get is: ..... how come my prosseses only take 4xxmb of it

this will be due to background 'hidden' processes, these are running in many different places and includes your OS and other critical system processes as well as hardware's software, allowing your keyboard to work etc also all your sound/visual processes and all of the drivers running in the background.

How can my computer use 7xxmb ram when it is idle

where does it say it is using 7xxMB? [see post #1]

When you get your task manager up the ram usage stands down in the right corner.

Btw, i dont run all those programs at once, i run them one by one and i only use avast(regulary).

I think i have found some sort of solution to my problem, when i reinstall zone alarm the ram usage goes down to normal level(240mb), i dont know wy it works that way but atleast the ram usage got down.

aM

reinstalling ZA (zone alarm) will stop all its background processes running, reducing your computer useage, although that is quite a lot, so thats weird.

When you get your task manager up the ram usage stands down in the right corner.
what? in my bottom right hand corner ive got commit charge... (see image) where are you talking about?

taskmanager.jpg

Hmm, i got Used ram in that corner. Dont know wy but it seems my computer is working after my za reinstall, still dont know wy.

I would just like to say thank you all for ur help with my problem, esp. you 5614

thank you, not sure how well i answered your question though :D

try doing a print screen of your task manager, i would like to see it, just press 'prt scr' or 'print screen' button (assuming you have windows) paste it into paint, save as a jpg or jpeg file, come to this thread, click 'post reply' (above the quick reply box) and then scroll down and theres a manage attachments, click that and browse to the image file, click ok and upload the picture (upload button inside the attachment manager pop-up) its all obvious when you do it! :)

"but it seems my computer is working after my za reinstall, still dont know wy."

hmmm, still not 100% sure what your original problem was, other than that theres some missing RAM somewhere!

what OS have you got? (exact, XP home edition SP1 or SP2 etc)

zone alarm is a resource whore, or it can be. Your proccesses that your talking about does not account for all the activity on your computer. Hence the difference in numbers.

Aside from faulty ram numbers being reported, do you have any major performance issues? Does your computer just randomly freeze for a few seconds? When looking at the performance screen, does moving your mouse around rapidly cause the cpu usage to increase drastically?

If your not having in perforamce losses, I'd say don't sweat it. Windows is classic for making simple mistakes like that, this pc I'm currently using for instance, is reporting 127.0 mb of ram(not even a possible size), when it actually has 256.

It works and performs fine, however.

If your not having in perforamce losses, I'd say don't sweat it. Windows is classic for making simple mistakes like that, this pc I'm currently using for instance, is reporting 127.0 mb of ram, when it actually has 256
check your BIOS, that'll tell you what you really have.

i recently updated a really old computer from 62MB RAM --> 192MB RAM, i was adding two more 64s and had 5 sticks, got through 4 different combinations of ram sticks before i got the ones which worked and were compatable etc. what happened before was it all worked, but the BIOS knows! and if it says you have xMB RAM, then you have x!

just because RAM is in the slot doesnt mean that it is active and can be used.

& if your BIOS is ever wrong, you are screwed! (but most of the time its just you thats wrong!) (except the time/date!)