Iodine extraction from Sea Weed?

Caustic

well why do you need to go to college in the summer im sure they teach you everything you need to know at high school, and you will save alot of money

college is really competitive here. if i take classes when i am younger i will look more attractive to colleges when i apply. also, i like chem and even AP (college level) chem is too easy.

also, just so you know more about schooling in the us, we go to school at age 5 for "kindergarten". then we go into first grade, second, etc until fifth. that is called elementary school. then we go to middle school for grades 6-8. grades 9-12 are high school. after 12 is college, although in high school, one can take college courses, as i have been doing.

Hmmmh. We have 1-9th grades, then it's all up to you what to do. You got to finish high school to get to a university though. But it's all FREE. :) You got to buy your own high school books, however (if you even go to high school).

well in england its primary school its ages 5-10 high school 10-16 college 16-18 then university 18+ thats about it primary school through to college is free unless you go to a public school then its' thousands of pounds a year and at university you have to pay thousands of pounds each year, but any way instead of a hot plat could you use a barbeque because i have a barbeque which you can either flame grill or it cook on a plate which heats up same concept as a hot plate except it uses gas as a fuel, this also just an idea if so i dont need to buy a hot plate

my parents are willing and able to pay for my collegiate and graduate studies, but are not willing to pay for college classes next summer. as a result, i must pay for them. they are going to be expensive, so i will need to save my money.
This makes the scenario even odder, since why would they be willing to pay for an indeterminate amount of tuiton (undergraduate and graduate school), but not a fixed amount (one semester's worth of classes)?

Also, on a related note, almost no one directly pays for graduate school (in the sciences) in the US due to the exorbitant cost. At least in Mathematics, a good 80% of students are TAs, 15% are RAs (both of which generally come with a tuition waver, based upon the hours you work) and the remaining 5% are paying via fellowships/private funds. This is because graduate schools rarely accept people that they are not willing to fund.

Source: http://www.ams.org/employment/asst.pdf

However, there are exceptions, just as in undergraduate admissions, and alumni/family connections combined with the fact one is not seeking financial support can, sadly, be a rather large positive factor when an application is considered. (Case in point, how do you think Bush got into Yale?)

bud your 16 almost 17 why are you still in high school in england we leave high school when we are 16 go to college then when we are 18 we leave college and go to university so why are you a junior in high school
In the US, the general path is high school then college. I believe the closest analog to the college you refer to is called junior college here.

You're getting confused by the names. They clearly use the term 'high school' to include the years when you are 16-18.
In the US, the term "high school", generally refers to the institution one attends between the ages of 13 and 17. However, most students have a birthday during the school year, and as a result, most high school students are between 14 and 18.

This makes the scenario even odder, since why would they be willing to pay for an indeterminate amount of tuiton (undergraduate and graduate school), but not a fixed amount (one semester's worth of classes)?

they dont want to pay for next year's classes because they believe the courses are not necessary. i believe the same, but i am like a sponge for knowledge and i strive for it all the time. it is my will to learn, and i will, even if i must pay for it

• 6 months later...
Guest joneg

I am in 6th year high school in scotland ( 17 years old ), and i have done a chemistry project to extract iodine from seaweed,both the stalk and the fronds. The stalks worked and iodine was extracted succesfully and solvent extraction with dimethylechloride. The same method was used on the fronds, but with a 2 day break between drying and burning, in which the seaweed went off. Iodine was not produced. i then tried to extract the iodine using dimethylechloride, and when i left it to crystallise, there was an exothermic reaction, and something froze in the crystalyzing beaker. i estimate the temperature was about 0*C. why did it go wrong? what happened?

• 1 year later...

in our country(philippines), elementary is 7-12; high school is 13-16; college level is 17 years old depending on your choice of course.

i just want to share another procedure in extracting iodine from sea weeds.

Seaweeds supplying and preparation

The seaweeds were washed with seawater, before drying at low temperature (50°C) and grinding to a size inferior to 120 microns.

Iodine measurement in seaweeds- ashing of seaweeds in the presence of

K2CO3 (weight ratio K2CO3 /seaweed = 5/1)

at 600°C ;

- recovery of the ashes in boiling water ;

- transformation of iodide into iodate by

additionning bromide in acid medium ;

- addition of KI and titration of iodine by a

sodium thiosulfate solution.

i found it here:

http://www.sph.emory.edu/PAMM/SALT2000/marchal.pdf#search=%22extraction%20of%20iodine%20from%20seaweeds%22

my thesis is also about this extracting iodine stuff...

i'm really confused with all these extraction process. i think i need to hire a consultant..haha:confused:

please help me with this extraction procedure...:confused:

that method sounds not only over complicated but even redundant in places :(

you don`t Really need to add any potassium carbonate, that will be in abundance in the ash anyway.

add water to this ash and filter the junk off, evap the water to leave your KI crystals, from there just follow standard displacement proceedure.

Your quote mentions adding bromide. That seems pointless to me. It still does not release any iodine. I can imagine adding bromine, but adding bromide is not of any use.

What I understood is that seaweed is heated (burnt and calcined) such that only inorganic matter remains. This tuff is dissolved in water and all insoluble matter is filtered from the solution. Then, one can bubble chlorine through the solution. This releases the iodine. But adding too much chlorine is not good, that results in formation of iodate.

I personally would first determine how much iodide is present and use that for the determination of the amount of oxidizer for releasing all iodine.

Procedure

(You must work at a fume cupboard)

Collect and dry about a dozen 50cm lenghts of the seaweed and heat them strongly on a tin recipient until they are reduced to ash; probably it will reduce a quite small quantity' date=' about a spoonful.

Add to the ash 20 ml of distilled water in a beaker, and heat the suspension until it boils.

Filter the suspension

Acidify the filtered with Sulphuric acid solution

Add then the hydrogen peroxide solution. You will observe the formation of a brown colour due the iodine liberation from the iodine ions present.

Transfer the mixture to a separating funnel

Extract the Iodine with tetrachloro methane or other solvent. The result is an organic solution of iodine.

In order to obtain crystals , the solvent may be allowed to evaporate at room temperature, by placing it in an evaporating dish in a fume cupboard. It will result crystals of iodine or rather gray-black brilliant flakes.[/quote']

if i use this procedure, how much iodine will i get?

With this method you will almost take all iodine out of the seaweed, so in terms of efficiency, it is good. But the absolute amount is very small. From such a small quantity of seaweed you only will obtain a few tens of mg, maybe 100 mg but certainly not more. That depends on the percentage of iodine in the seaweed, but I think that will be at most of few 0.1%'s by mass of iodine.

Acidify the filtered with Sulphuric acid solution

Add then the hydrogen peroxide solution. You will observe the formation of a brown colour due the iodine liberation from the iodine ions present.

Transfer the mixture to a separating funnel

Extract the Iodine with tetrachloro methane or other solvent. The result is an organic solution of iodine.

1. how much SULPHURIC ACID will i use?

2. how much HYDROGEN PEROXIDE will i use?

3. how much TERTRACHLORO METHANE will i use?

pls. help me...